• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it better...

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
...to let one bun/a pair have a lot of space to roam, but only a little time

or

to let lots of buns have a bit of space all day?

Is there an inbetween option? :lol:
I think it depends on how active the buns are, and how much room they could have. There is something telling me to go with your second option though :lol:

i think if my pair didnt get thier evening out times they would pack up and leave.

i think routine is most important but that werent the question :oops: no matter what time i open the cage up they stay in that room until after 6pm but if im late Alvin is rattling the bars to get out and onto the bed for a laze around.

id say lots of space for a few hours a day must be better than a confined area all day long. i think :lol::lol:

i like to think my cagre area is plenty big enough especially as they tend to squeeze into the carrier together :lol::lol::lol:

I must stress, it is not my setup/routine/ guys I am questioning. All my guys have 24 hour access to all parts of their setups.

I dont understand the question!

I guess it depends on the bunnies.My pair sleep all day, even on a weekend if we let them out during the day they will go under my bed and stay there all day untill about 6pm. They are very active untill about 11pm and have free range of the house every day. They go to bed in their own room (about 9ft by 4ft) and sleep untill about 5am when they get up and cause havoc again untill about 8ish.

I would hate to think of mine being cramped up, even if they do sleep all day.

I think it also depends on what 'a bit' and 'a lot' means in terms of both space and time :)

Some people think that it is better that a bunny lives in a hutch (smaller than 6ft) so long as they get 1-2 hour of run time in a large amount of space.

Some people think that it is better that a bun has access to a standard living area, but has a longer time in there, or ideally 24hour access.

More than who is right and who is wrong. I was wondering which you would prefer for your buns.

Some people think that it is better that a bunny lives in a hutch (smaller than 6ft) so long as they get 1-2 hour of run time in a large amount of space.

Some people think that it is better that a bun has access to a standard living area, but has a longer time in there, or ideally 24hour access.

More than who is right and who is wrong. I was wondering which you would prefer for your buns.

I'd prefer access to a standard area for long periods of time

I would have said less space for more time. My buns live in a 6ft hutch with a 6 by 4ft run underneath. Usually they have 24 hr access to the run. The last few nights though I have restricted them to the hutch bit at night because of the fireworks and then opened the hatch again in the morning.

I have noticed that when they are allowed into the run again in the mornings they are far more active than if they have had constant access. This morning we had so many binkys!

After this I would say it would depend how much space they would have when it was not their turn for the bigger space? I also have another big run on the grass and when the weather is nice enough they take it in turns to spend time in there. I cannot do free ranging as we have refered aggression issues.

I would prefer a larger space for a smaller time.

Some of my house buns live in dog crates with shelves etc most of the time and then take turns to have free range time in the house for around 6 to 8 hours. It gives them a chance to really run and binky and have fun. I think they get more exercise and stimulation and fun than the ones we have that are in 10ft pens 24 hours a day.

Saying that most of mine are so old or have so many mobility problems that tearing around and binkying is out of their league :( But I still think they appreciate the change of scenery and get more out of life than those in the same size pens day in and day out :)

ETA that in the summer all the bunnies get far more exercise time, many of the indoor ones spending all day outside :)

Back