• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Photography/Pet Stress!!

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

Is anyone else concerned about this?

Pets at Home are doing an Instore Pet Photography Competition.

There are various dates for all the branches across the country. There is a big stand in-store with pics of dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, tortoises etc on it, encouraging people to take their pets in store to have their photo taken and enter the competition.

There are leaflets as well with similar pics on.

Is it just me that is worried by this? Obviously animals can cope with being taken out of the house for necessary trips eg vet visits, boarding etc.

But this just seems to me to be unnecessary stress to put an animal through for the sake of photos. Particularly if they are outdoor bunnies, going in to a warm busy store, with bright lights, lots of people etc.

Yes! I saw this. I grabbed a leaflet thinkin it was a photo comp where you send in photos but on further reading it turned out you take your pets into the store:shock: At first i had a chuckle at what chaos my two hairy herbets would cause if i were to take them but seriously i don't think it would be fair on cats and dogs with all the noise and bright lights etc, let alone buns and other types of skittish animals.

Thats what I thought. And I was saying so rather loudly at the checkout as well (but then thought perhaps I am being oversensitive).

Really want to know what RU members think.

I can feel another email or letter coming on.... :D

Yayyyy :roll:
If the animals scared it wont even look good in pictures, so it's a waste of time

Thats true. And if it were mine they'd probably just run off - I can imagine a shop full of animals running all over the place causing mayhem!

I hope all the dogs are on leads :shock:

I just dont think its fair.

I think dogs could be ok. I see a lot of people with dogs in P@H.
Other animals definitely no, though. All of mine would absolutely hate it.

What a strange idea though... Why can't they have a "send in your pet pictures" competition?

Not only is there the stress of travelling, but what about the poor buns (and other small animals) that aren't used to cats and dogs. They will be terrified :(

I know it is a bit odd.

Yes I think dogs are ok because I see people taking them in there too.

But rabbits and gerbils and hamsters?!

I think people should be able to send in pictures of their animals relaxed and in their home territory, not dragged in to a store.

Its obviously some promotion or other for PAH and the Photography company!! :(:(

and the photographers will shaft folk for the photos just like they do with the baby photos!

we took our dog last year he hated it, there was rabbits and hamsters in the same line as us :shock: we pulled him out early so i dread to think what the little animals were like :(

It's bad enough when people take their dogs near the 'Bunny Village' bit. All I can imagine is a small scared rabbit, forced to endure a horrible car trip, left in a carrier surrounded by smells and sounds of barking dogs, then shoved infront of bright flashing lights.

I have a video of rabbit jumping, and everytime the photographers flash went off the rabbits froze :( I will be making a big 'NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY' sign next year! :roll:

My bunnies and Lexi entered today and all had there photos taken, even the bunnies with the dog together.
My bunnies or Lexi did not seem bothered, so i think its depends on the individual case :D if i knew my bunnies get spooked easy i wouldnt have taken them, but they dont get spooked easily :wave:

My bunnies and Lexi entered today and all had there photos taken, even the bunnies with the dog together.
My bunnies or Lexi did not seem bothered, so i think its depends on the individual case :D if i knew my bunnies get spooked easy i wouldnt have taken them, but they dont get spooked easily :wave:

That's probably because your buns are used to dogs.

I'd be fine taking mine, they travel all the time and are used to dogs, but I still don't want to support pets at home or this competition,

I wouldnt take my pets to P@H to have their photos taken - no chance. However... Poppa (our dog) has had her photos taken by a proper photographer before at their studios and she was fine :) The photographer was playing fetch with her so she was in her element :)

I wouldnt be worried about taking dogs, or even cats (only cos I havent owned one and am willing to be told different).

I just dont like the idea for prey animals like rabbits and hamsters being taken along. I just think that other people dont think of their rabbits' welfare like members on here do, particularly the way you see kids shouting by the rabbits pen soooo loudly etc. :( People dont think, they just think it'll be cute to have a rabbit picture. I mean, I'd be quite tempted, if I didnt know better. But I am glad that I do, so ours can be spared the stress of it.

I wouldn't be comfortable even with taking my cat, if it escaped and ran out of the doors or into a non-cat friendly dog! Oh noes! Eek galore. I'd avoid this!

With any animal for this P@H competition anyway.:wave:

I take my own photos - far cheaper :lol:

I dont have a problem with dogs at all having it done...but I wouldnt put my rabbit or guinea pigs in the car unless completely necessary :roll:

Back