• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What To Do

Claire&Phil

Warren Scout
Our bunny, Bonny, has not been eating since Thursday. Claire took her to the vets Thursday evening and she was given Metoclopramise injection and told to feed her Supreme Science recover.

On Fri we took her back as she was not improving and again she was given a repeat of same injection plus Laurabolin injection and we were told to keep feeding her science selective.

On Saturday I regularly feed her science selective and she seemed to have moved around a bit and I observed her to be nibbling on some oxbow hay. She also eat some fresh herbs. However, it would seem she had not passed many stools.

Today she looks worse, even to the point of not resisting us feeding her. We are so worried about her and feel at such a loss at what to do. She has another appointment on Monday to see the vet but we are concerned that maybe we are doing more harm than good in force feeding her, or even if she is in pain over night? She also now seems very unstable on her legs.

We've just called the emergency vet and they adviced to keep feeding small amounts regular and often plus give water.

IMO she needs to be re-examined by a Vet today

Why was she given a steroid (Laurabolin) ? These are generally contraindicated in Rabbits as steroids are immunosuppressive :?

Is she drinking ? Dehydration is a real concern.

Personally I'd call the Vet again and INSIST on your Rabbit being seen today

Good luck

IMO she needs to be re-examined by a Vet today

Why was she given a steroid (Laurabolin) ? These are generally contraindicated in Rabbits as steroids are immunosuppressive :?

Is she drinking ? Dehydration is a real concern.

Personally I'd call the Vet again and INSIST on your Rabbit being seen today

Good luck

The vet said that injection would stimulate her to feed?

We called the emergancy vet today but they refussed to see Bonny as we were unable to make immediate payment of emergency consultation fee of £112 even though we said we could make payment by Friday at the latest.

Poor Bonny, she is so weak, can hardly walk. She is now not drinking so we having to syringing water into her when feeding her.

I will phone the vet and get her seen first thing in the morning as she already has an appointment booked for the afternoon.

The vet said that injection would stimulate her to feed?

We called the emergancy vet today but they refussed to see Bonny as we were unable to make immediate payment of emergency consultation fee of £112 even though we said we could make payment by Friday at the latest.

Poor Bonny, she is so weak, can hardly walk. She is now not drinking so we having to syringing water into her when feeding her.

I will phone the vet and get her seen first thing in the morning as she already has an appointment booked for the afternoon.

I really dont want to add to your distress but tomorrow morning may be too late :cry:

Could you tell the Vet that you will pay a portion of the fee now and give a written and signed declaration that you will pay the balance within the next 7 days ?

I really dont want to add to your distress but tomorrow morning may be too late :cry:

Could you tell the Vet that you will pay a portion of the fee now and give a written and signed declaration that you will pay the balance within the next 7 days ?

Payment is not normally a prob for us but on this one occassion we have been left with no funds at the end of the month. The emergency vet wanted full payment today:evil:. This annoys me as the emergency service is part of the chain of practices we use, and only the other day the vets we usually use allowed us to make part payment and pay the rest until a later date?

I really feel for you, you've obviously made sure that your bun saw vets as needed this week and have now ended up stuck on a Sunday evening :(

What would happen if you just turned up with her? I'm not sure they can refuse to see her if you actually turn up and they can see a very poorly rabbit. Do you have a cheque book - maybe offering a post-dated cheque would help?

I really hope you manage to sort something as it does sound very much as if your little one needs to see a vet today xxx

My emergency vet wanted payment on the night but when i got there they said they'd send the invoice in the post:?

I would just turn up:evil:

It's just heart breaking to see her so poorly, she can hardly walk:? However, Claire has got some water into Bonny and she now seems to have perked up a bit...fingers crossed. We will keep feeding her regularly with critical care and water and get her to the vets 1st thing tmw:cry:

Last edited:
I think you need to call them back and say something along the lines of 'My Rabbit, who is registered with your Company (same chain of Vets) and he is in need of emergency treatment
Are you saying that you are refusing to provide this unless I pay the fee in full today ? I have explained my temporary financial situation and that I will pay the account by this coming Friday. I will put this in writing for you if necessary.
If you are still refusing to treat my Rabbit (your Company's Client) then I intend to persue this matter with the RCVS.'

I am so angry on your behalf :censored:

I do hope your Bunny will pull through

I think you need to call them back and say something along the lines of 'My Rabbit, who is registered with your Company (same chain of Vets) and he is in need of emergency treatment
Are you saying that you are refusing to provide this unless I pay the fee in full today ? I have explained my temporary financial situation and that I will pay the account by this coming Friday. I will put this in writing for you if necessary.
If you are still refusing to treat my Rabbit (your Company's Client) then I intend to persue this matter with the RCVS.'

I am so angry on your behalf :censored:

I do hope your Bunny will pull through

Go Jane!:D

I agree with this. Really makes me mad that people are sensible enough to realise a problem and do something and the vets won't help. They must realise that not everyone can stump up a big sum just like that!!!!

Is Bonny insured? Whereabouts do you live Phil?

Agree with Jane, try to ring them and tell them you are a regular at one of the surgeries in their chain and they can check all your records for prompt payment. Explain she has already been seen at the other surgery and this is a "follow up" (maybe a lower fee???)

You could go with her and then take an "old" credit card by mistake when they ask for payment.:oops:

Good luck, I hope she will be OK.

Go Jane!:D

I agree with this. Really makes me mad that people are sensible enough to realise a problem and do something and the vets won't help. They must realise that not everyone can stump up a big sum just like that!!!!

Is Bonny insured? Whereabouts do you live Phil?

We live in Norfolk and I'm ashamed to admit Bonny is not insured but then the cost is not usually a prob. Half our buns are insured and the other we hadn't got around to adding:oops:

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll share your advice with Claire.

I was just wondering about if bun was insured it would make a difference. Personally if you think she needs vet treatment NOW then just make up any old bull to get her seen and deal with it on the way out, at least bun would get what she needs. It may just be the receptionist that is being difficult:?

Really hope she's ok and good luck x

You don't have to be ashamed not to have your rabbit insured - mine aren't. It is not always the right thing to do for every bunny. I stopped it as the last renewal jumped up significantly.

Oh Phil I really do feel for all of you, it does sound like little Bonnie needs to be seen ASAP, as I am sure you are aware buns can go done hill very quickly and as others have said tomorrow could be too late, which may have meant that she was in pain for the whole night, she needs seeing.
I would just turn up with her and as someone said pay what you can when you are there and write a post dated cheque for the rest of the balance.
I would be extremely suprised and completly disgusted if they refuse to see her.

I am afraid to announce that Bonnie passed away last night. We are very devastated and upset as it happened so fast but only grateful to have had been with her during her final moments.

We have just arrived home from having taken her to The Suffolk Pet and Horse Crematorium as we would like to have her ashes with us forever.

Back