• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drinking water & eating hay after 4 years!

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Just wanted to share our good news.

I know it won't last, because the basic problem is Thumper's teeth; BUT for the 1st. time since I've had him (4years) he's mastered the art of drinking water for a whole week. I was so surprised to hear a few laps then silence, that I put the light on to see what was happening! No gulps, squeaks, sloshes, - he drank 1/2 a bowl full SILENTLY. Then he proceeded to demolish a mountain of hay!!:shock:
He's had a fantastic wee output, no chalk, masses of perfect poops, & is really happy in himself!

It makes sense that he couldn't eat hay (dry) until he could drink comfortably, & after a life time of lower molar spikes, he had to learn how to drink normally.

A big thank you to all the members of the forum who have helped us get here.
A big thank you to our vet for taking the spurs down to gum line this time.
Any one crack open a bottle with me?

wow that is absolutely fantastic :D:D:D:D:D

bet you shed a tear or two :D

Thanks. It's a bit of a confused emotional state, relief I've found an answer that fits everything that's happened, over the moon his mouth is comfortable, & that he's not filling his tummy with air by gulping, & sad that it's taken me so long to work it out.

I am soooo Pleased to hear this. Cherry has a similar problem (molar spikes, no hay eating) So it is very encouraging to hear that you are having some success, even if it is temperary. but I do hope it lasts a while. :)

ETA. Is this Bowl drinking, not bottle drinking, wondering if I can help Cherry in anyway further :)

I am soooo Pleased to hear this. Cherry has a similar problem (molar spikes, no hay eating) So it is very encouraging to hear that you are having some success, even if it is temperary. but I do hope it lasts a while. :)

ETA. Is this Bowl drinking, not bottle drinking, wondering if I can help Cherry in anyway further :)

It's bowl drinking. With plenty of space, he never knocks his bowls over, or fouls them.[I'm neurotic! Thumper hasn't worked out that some doors pull open, so he can shut himself in a room. Water bowls everywhere for a non-drinking bunny! :roll:
He used to drink his wee!! (because it was warm & therefore less sore on his mouth) I started to give him tepid boiled water x3 daily with food so he knew when it would arrive + when I made a cuppa, which started him going to a bowl to drink. It's just not possible unless you're at home most of the day.
Thumper definitely prefers "green hay", will eat the "golden bits" but not the brown bits.

:) Ill have to try that. She does drink quite frequently from he bottle, but I am unsure as to how much she actually gets from it.

Thanks for your support everyone. It's definitely a celebratory glass tonight.
Best not have too many replies to the thread or I'll be paralytic drinking to you & your buns!

Well done, enjoy celebrating.

Wish I could get Homey to eat hay :roll: I would certainly roll out a box of wine, not just a bottle.:lol:

Just wanted to share our good news.

I know it won't last, because the basic problem is Thumper's teeth; BUT for the 1st. time since I've had him (4years) he's mastered the art of drinking water for a whole week. I was so surprised to hear a few laps then silence, that I put the light on to see what was happening! No gulps, squeaks, sloshes, - he drank 1/2 a bowl full SILENTLY. Then he proceeded to demolish a mountain of hay!!:shock:
He's had a fantastic wee output, no chalk, masses of perfect poops, & is really happy in himself!

It makes sense that he couldn't eat hay (dry) until he could drink comfortably, & after a life time of lower molar spikes, he had to learn how to drink normally.

A big thank you to all the members of the forum who have helped us get here.
A big thank you to our vet for taking the spurs down to gum line this time.
Any one crack open a bottle with me?

|Yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy well doen Thumper!

Right folks, I'm startin'. Any one joining me please add your own special buns.

1st. Toast - to all the buns & bunny parents who fought so long & hard & didn't come through their illness.

2nd Toast - to all the buns & bunny parents who are still out there fighting.
Especially all the stasis buns/dental buns/myxi buns. Blue with MRSA, Pearl & Alvin, Comfrey, Cherry, Homer & his hay, Ginger with the long term sequelae of coccidiosis & weight loss & so many others.

3rd. Toast - to Biscandmatt - ill for so very long, & nearly, but not quite through it yet.

4th. Toast - to the recent "overcomers" Oscar against myxi last year & now snuffles. Poppy - food aspiration!, Nino - stasis & impaction, Yvette's Lilly- shall we just say "teeth & vet?" Viola Rose - myxi & many many more.

5th. Toast - my little boy - asking for a miracle that he sorts out his teeth.

6th Toast - to all those with veterinary knowledge & skills who give much thought, time, & sound advice to us on this forum, in love for our bunnies.

7th Toast - to the Admin & Mods with the unenviable task of "bonding" humans with strongly held views!

I'm going to hit the hay now folks - night night.

Back