• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ok to use a hutch that has had maggots in it?

npg1

Young Bun
My friend gave me a hutch today, it's in pretty bad condition as wasnt cleaned out for years and has been left. I brought i home to clean, it needs a new roof which I think I can do and I have prized it all aprt to give it a good clean but found a few maggots in it. I have used bleach spray to clean and have some hutch cleaner to use too.

Will it be ok? My plan is to make a hole in the bottom and put it on top of my run with a ramp so buns can go out as they like.

It is now in pieces in my greenhouse drying out, I need to buy some felt to do the roof.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the wood is pretty rotton, doesnt sound like its worth repairing, you're better off getting a new one.... pourous (sp?) wood could hold bugs (actual insect and health ones...), viruses.... mould spores.... all sorts of yucky stuff you dont want to expose a bun too.

Bin it in my opinion.... but break it so noone else tries to use it!

If the wood is sound then there is no reason not to use it if you have disinfected it and left it to dry thoroughly. Once it's dry give it a good sand and the treat it with a pet safe wood preservative to protect it.

There are lots of different sorts of 'maggots' some grubs will take advantage of somewhere dry to wedge themselves in and aren't anything related to the type of maggot flies that cause flystrike.

Not your original question (and just in case you don't already know this): be careful about mixing bleach with the hutch disinfectant - they may react and give off poisonous gases - I'm thinking about your lungs more than the buns as it will probably have dispersed by then. I guess if the bleach is dry before you use the hutch disinfectant, you should be okay. .

Hi.

Well havent had time today to sort he hutch out but it has dried out well. I still have to disinfect it and put back together and also re felt the roof, if anyone has any advice on this?!

Thanks for all th advice so far!

Back