• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

furballs

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Ruby's just done some poos all connected together with fur. What should I give her to break down the fur in her tummy?

If she's passing the fur in her droppings this is a pretty good sign that her guts are doing what they are supposed to be doing - passing the fur! It's when a bun is moulting heavily and you see no fur being passed that you want to worry.
Personally I would not give anything, and would just focus on LOTS of hay to keep the guts doing their job and moving along at a good speed and stretching the bowel walls, and I would also be brushing her more regularly.
We brush our two daily regardless of moulting. It is only when we miss a day we may see Poppy pass one or two strung droppings. Buns are designed to cope with a certain amount of fur. Furballs tend to occur secondary to gut slowdown - the fur builds up as the tummy slows. But large amounts of fur can be a primary cause of gut slowdown.

Have they come out like a string of beads?
Bunnies always have fur in their stomach from grooming, & it poses no problems with "normal" fur, & normal gut function.

My bun has dental/gut motility problems.
He'll pass a string of 5-7 poops with no problems if his gut is on form.
So I groom very frequently when he's in moult, damp my hand to stroke him & collect fur that way. (You need to groom partner buns too)
It's keeping his gut on top form with plenty of exercise, high fiber diet = hay, weeds, deciduous tree leaves, bark, etc. & zero tolerance of uneaten caecotrophs.

Some people give 5ml. unsweetened pineapple juice daily, or bromeline tablets (active ingredient in pineapple). This helps to break down the mass of mucus & food debris, which make very large fur balls when the gut is sluggish.

I hope I have answered your question.
ETA Sorry I've x posted with you prettylupin. We've said the same thing a different way.

Last edited:
They do some treats at pets at Home that i give B twice a aweek.They have furball paste in.Pineapple is good instead.:)

Back