• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maisie's breathing U/D 19/01/10 - I am letting her go to the bridge tonight 8'-(

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Maisies breathing seems a bit heavy, I have just been watching her in the kitchen while having a tea and her chest seems faster than Bobs and Beatrix, she then kind of hacked :shock: and started chewing. It was like when you see blokes hack a loogy :?, do rabbits get phlegm? I am assuming she has a chest infection, just weird because her eyes and nose are perfectly clear, but something must of come off her chest, have you ever known this before? She is totally fine in herself, running around doing normal stuff and eating etc, I couldn't work out if it was in my head, but her breathing does seems a bit different to the other buns, but only slightly :?

Anyone had anything similar?

Last edited:
With a lower Respiratory Tract infection there may be no nasal discharge etc, just the laboured breathing due to a reduced lung function.
Probably best to get her checked ASAP as any problem involving the lungs/heart can get very nasty very quickly

Sending vibes for her :love:

Obviously that went without saying I wasn't plannig on not taking her to the vets :lol: :thumb: ,I just wondered if anyone had seem anything similar, I just didn't think rabbits could hack :shock:. Thanks Jane, hoping it's not her heart :( just a chest infection it was weird the way she hacked and started chewing something, made me want to wretch :oops: :shock:

Wasnt implying you wouldn't get her to a Vet you igeet !! :lol:

I know you always act promptly when a Bun is poorly.
I had a Bun here who developed what sounded like a smoker's cough :shock:
We never got to the bottom of what caused it, but eventually it resolved.
He was never 'ill' within himself at all :?

I didn't want you to think I would let her suffer :oops:, only just noticed it and it's weird, she hasn't done it again since but she deffo coughed something off her lungs and I would deffo say her breathing is different to Bea and Bobs, even though it's only slight. If they can hack how come they can't be sick, I honestly didn't think they could hack :shock:

I didn't want you to think I would let her suffer :oops:, only just noticed it and it's weird, she hasn't done it again since but she deffo coughed something off her lungs and I would deffo say her breathing is different to Bea and Bobs, even though it's only slight. If they can hack how come they can't be sick, I honestly didn't think they could hack :shock:

Its because sick would come from the stomach and Rabbits have a well developed Cardiac Sphincter at the top of the stomach which preludes true vomiting.

I hope Maisie is OK :)

Thank you, she has hacked again tonight and I have held her and can deffo feel her chest is heavy, but she still seems well in herself. I have worked myself up about it today, why do animals always pick the weekend to get sick :(. Just hope the vets have space for me, will tell them that's it's urgent so they can squeeze me in.

Thank you, she has hacked again tonight and I have held her and can deffo feel her chest is heavy, but she still seems well in herself. I have worked myself up about it today, why do animals always pick the weekend to get sick :(. Just hope the vets have space for me, will tell them that's it's urgent so they can squeeze me in.

Sending vibes :love:

Thanks Jane, I am really worried in case it's something serious, I am going to think postive and just hope it's a chest infection that will clear up after treatment, these bunsters know how to worry us :(

:wave: Just out of interest (not suggesting that could be the prob) but, do they get fur balls or something similar?

:wave: Just out of interest (not suggesting that could be the prob) but, do they get fur balls or something similar?

They can get them in the digestive tract but as Rabbits cannot actually vomit furballs dont cause the same 'wretching' symptoms as they do in a cat etc :)

How's Maisie today Tree ?

Thanks so much guys, she is no better but no worse I have not seen her hack this morning but her breathing ain't right, again she is fine in herself munching and running around so I have come into work she has an appointment at 6.50 tonight, I hope she is going to be ok she is another one of my original ones, I would be devastated if I lost her as it's only a few months since I had to let Scooby go :(.

Thanks so much guys, she is no better but no worse I have not seen her hack this morning but her breathing ain't right, again she is fine in herself munching and running around so I have come into work she has an appointment at 6.50 tonight, I hope she is going to be ok she is another one of my original ones, I would be devastated if I lost her as it's only a few months since I had to let Scooby go :(.

Got everything crossed here and hope that Maisie gets on OK at the Vets tonight

xx

Back