• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby bunnies dieing HELP!

yokobunbun

New Kit
Our mama bunny recently had nine bunnies in our shed and we put them in a cage with her which was kept warm by a heat light above it. Tonight three bunnies had died which we thought was because they were too cold, so we brought them in and they seemed fine, their mama was lieing down with them and they didn't seem sick. My boyfriend brought them and their mama to his house and since then another bunny has died. Is this because their mama is not feeding them enough? Would you suggest us feeding them?
Please help. This is a very sad situation.

Oh no! That is terribly sad, and I am so sorry.
I surely won't have the best advice, but what I think is that nine kits might be too many for the mother to feed at once. Some breeders have several does pregnant at the same time so that the one with less can foster the babies from the larger litter. But I'm guessing you aren't a breeder.. :roll:

Moving them into the house could maybe be to severe of a temp. drop and might be unsafe. I'm not 100%, but I think that's. Hand rearing kits is said to be very difficult and not many survive. So the mother is alive, or just the kits? :(

Anna

Well now there are three babies left but we are guessing only two of them will live by the size of their tummies. It was odd, they would just die in your hand while you tried to feed them. :(

If they're dieing while feeding them, could it be your filling their lungs instead?

Back