• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

to cuddle or not to cuddle!

donnab1981

Young Bun
Just wondering:

In time do buns that dislike lap cuddles become warmed to the idea of cuddles?

Our last but loved cuddles, would sit for hours, climb on your lap and stay put!

Our new boy hates cuddles. He's happy for strokes, will snuggle down for them and chatter. Happy for you to sit or lay beside him and stroke. But will not sit for a snuggle.

I havent tried to push the idea too much, but every few days I try something new like today he was relaxed on the sofa; so I put his pillow on my lap and placed him on it on my lap. He sat for about a minute and jumped off. The closest we got was, he climbed on me while I was watching TV, I stroked him and he licked my neck for ages, ew all hot and tickly lol... :lol:

So any young buns that disliked cuddles and became used to / enjoyed cuddles as they got older... or simply, if they dislike from a young age probably never will !!!

Just curious :D (I miss my bunny snuggles!)

When he was a baby mine didn't even like being stroked, he was far more interested in exploring things & running around.
In adolescence he liked to be stroked on the floor after he'd exhausted himself running around.
He's now the biggest softee out, & always ready to be stroked a little but the main time, of being stroked & licking me in turn, is bed time. Yes, on the floor.
He HATES my lap, sofa, bed, or any surface with "give in it", so obviously he won't use his own "soft bed".
I have just accepted him as he is. It's such a great honour to be "groomed" by a bun. :D:D

awhh I know what you mean!!!
My two love a fuss, but wont sit for longer than two minutes especially Dells!
But then im not sure if that is just her breed or something..

Thumps: true it is an honour to be groomed :D Smoky as cuddly as he was never gave a groom! Simba loves the sofa though! often sits at my feet while I watch TV... I guess that is a compromise lol

MopsyMops; ah maybe it could be a breed thing? Our cuddly Smoky was a lop... theyre supposedly very laid back. Simba is generally (if not sleeping) hyper! but even when he relaxes he keeps moving to change positions, stretching as he does!...

Pie loves having hugs on the floor. She will flop down and conk out while you stroke her, if you stop she will put her nose into your hand. BUT she hates being picked up and/or held. The vets is a nightmare, she just squirms like mad if you hold her.
But I wouldnt change her for the world! :love:

Ah bless Pie; (I love the name :D) thats what he does; will fall asleep as you stroke. Touch wood, 4 trips to the vets so far, he been fine... not tried to get away or squirm. Smokey however was a nightmare; I remember requesting the vet do his jabs on the floor because I was so worried he'd jump off the table.

Its amazing to see and hear the different personalities of rabbits. Sad to know many people still underestimate the true natures and joys of rabbit owning.

only got one out of 5 that like to be picked up and cuddled, biggles loves a fuss but only on his terms if your lieing on the floor with him, doc will only sit with me until i stop giving him a jaw massarge :love:

Ah I guess most buns actually dont like contact cuddles then... I only have the 2 to compare... still learning :D

When I first got Lavender she didn't like fuss/cuddles but when she got to about 1 she started liking fuss but on her terms i.e. with us both sat on the floor, just fussing her head and only for a few minutes at a time. Then when she got to about 2 or 3 she started demanding fuss - she comes over to me, stamps her feet, then runs to her 'fussing spot', so I (being dutiful bunny mummy :shock:) go and sit on the floor with her in their bit of the lounge and give her fuss! She'll sit there for an hour or more, teeth purring the whole time.

If she sees me fuss Darwin, she's over like a shot, and pushes her head inbetween Darwin and my hand. So, they definitely get used to it, so as long as your bun doesn't really hate it then theres hope!

Darwin on the other hand has always loved fuss, he'll sit on your lap and fall asleep, and when you pick him usp he nestles his head under your chin. He's a frenchy though so he's a bit doppy.:lol:

Ah bless her she doe's sound very demanding :D

He loves the > sat next to him strokes<... happy to have the fuss for ages, I look forward to see if and how he changes over time. If he'll come to me for strokes or jump on me for cuddles. ;)

Back