• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh Noooo!! Ones a girl

Bungle bunny

Mama Doe
I really need a rant. I bought 3 bun babies from the pet shop, they were so snuggled together and while watching them I saw one of them really struggling to get a drink from a bottle, when we got them home, they drank 3 bowls of water. Anyway, my problem is that I was assured that they were all boys and yep, you guessed it, it looks like one of them is a girl, the other 2 wont leave her alone. They are about 10 weeks old.

The main reason for me just having to buy them was to make sure that they could stay together, I just couldnt bare the thought of them being picked off one by one.

Now it looks like we are going to have to split them up any way, currently they are in the same room but we have to keep rotating them all into the cage as they have the run of the dining room and kitchen. When we put the boys in the cage they start going mad, I feel really bad for all of them. Any suggestions anyone? I dont want her to be on her own but we now have 5 buns and dare not get any more.

You need to get the boys neutered asap and then they can be rebonded with the female.

Unfortunately this story is told far too often on here as pet shops often cannot accurately sex bunnies. For anyone else reading this thread and thinking of buying a pet shop bunny, give your local rescue a call instead! They will be able to help you find a pair or group of bunnies who will be already neutered and able to live happily together.

You do need to seperate them straight away just in case - as you say you really don't want a litter on inbred babies! HOWEVER, just because the others are mounting her doesn't necessarily mean she IS a girl./ Boys mount each other as a way of establishing the pecking order. I guess you know that already though if you already have 2 buns.

Last edited:
Are you sure she's a girl? Buns 'hump' each other out of dominance not just out of friskiness. It might just be that he's the weaker of the three so the other two are asserting their new teenage hormones on the smaller, less hormonal one. Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time a pet shop had incorrectly sexed baby bunnies!

I would suggest popping them along to the vet for sexing and for their first vaccine which they are now old enough to have. Boys can be neutered as soon as their 'bits' drop and girls a bit later, your vet can discuss this with you. Even if they are boys they will need neutering as soon as possible anyway as unneutered males will seriously fight and once they mature, especially if they can smell other bunnies around! Please do be very careful now as fights are highly likely to break out and serious injuries could occur if they are now starting to get hormonal.

So all is not lost - there may be a temporary need for separation until their sexes are confirmed and they are all neutered. You can then try and carefully re-bond them together somewhere neutral (there is lots of advice on 'bonding' on the forum).

You need to get the boys neutered asap and then they can be rebonded with the female.

Unfortunately this story is told far too often on here as pet shops often cannot accurately sex bunnies. For anyone else reading this thread and thinking of buying a pet shop bunny, give your local rescue a call instead! They will be able to help you find a pair or group of bunnies who will be already neutered and able to live happily together.

Thanks, our other 2 bunnies are rescue bunnies, we just had to get these three to ''cut out the middle man''

Back