• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit will not let me pick her up

:wave: If she doesn't like it I think you have to respect that. You might have a better chance sitting on the floor with her and bringing her towards you onto your lap then holding her close, hand under bottom/hind legs slowly stand up but, only if you have a good hold on her. I would do lots of practice pick ups onto your lap sitting on the floor then let her go and reward her to associate the process with something pleasurable. Other than that and taking it slowly unless its necessary try to avoid it as it will stress her.

If she doesn't like being picked up, don't bother. Only carry her if it is totally needed, like checking her bum etc. I never pick mine up except for this reason only.

Has she been spayed yet? If not that will be a major part of the problem and you'll need to get her done.

Some buns just aren't 'cuddly' anyway. My Pickle hates to be held, even though I've had him 6 years. If I get on the floor with him though he's really friendly. I suppose, putting yourself in their shoes, it is a terrifiying thing to be picked up, and you should therefore limit it as much as you can. If you need to take her anywhere use a carrier, and when spending time with her do it at her level, on her terms. Good luck!

Some rabbits dont like being picked up and some do.
Mine arent that keen, but are two of the most confidant rabbits around and will clamber all over you when you sit on the floor and chairs. I find it so much more rewarding when they come to you on their own, and not forced to if you were to pick them up for instance.

:)

One of mine doesn't like being picked up but I thought it was important that she got used to it as otherwise I thought I'd end up in a dreadful situation if I ever needed to medicate her (as it would stress her when she was already ill), plus I wouldn't be able to check her for fly strike in the summer.

So, I've gradually got her used to it and now she's fine, she doesn't like it but she knows it happens and its ok. She no longer runs away when I go to pick her up, I pick her up, do what ever I need to, put her down, she stamps her feet, then she turns around, stands on her back legs as she knows she's about to get a treat! A bunny who loves their food is so easy to condition! :D

I think its important to be able to check your bunny over regularly. It took ages though but I'm happy to explain how I did it if it will help.

Back