• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you rinse after using virkon?

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
As above please :)

Just got my cirkon so doing a major big clean out today, got 3 lots of buns out in runs and have just scrubbed and mopped sheds and hutches with virkon, on the packet it doesn't say rinse afterwards but just wanted to double check with you guys first before i pop the buns back in, thanks :wave:

I don't rinse if I've used it fully diluted in the hutches, I just let it dry thoroughly. It's non toxic and pretty low-odour to start off with and I take the view that the longer the contact time the better. I do rinse when I've used it in things like litter trays or food bowls though :)

To be honest I'd never really thought about it before :oops:

I don't rinse if I've used it fully diluted in the hutches, I just let it dry thoroughly. It's non toxic and pretty low-odour to start off with and I take the view that the longer the contact time the better. I do rinse when I've used it in things like litter trays or food bowls though :)

To be honest I'd never really thought about it before :oops:

Thanks hun, i have fully diluted it as per packet and have already cleaned and rinsed the litter trays with it, so will just let it dry properly in the hutches and sheds :D

Don't make too much up in one go as you will find that it becomes ineffective after a time and also it lets of vapour so that the container it is in will either split or blow up!

Wise words Janice...been there done that :lol: Almost passed out from the chemical cloud that erupted from the very blown container.

That's exactly why I now use the powder version and make up a small spray bottle at a time for use on the same day!

Don't make too much up in one go as you will find that it becomes ineffective after a time and also it lets of vapour so that the container it is in will either split or blow up!

OMG you are scaring me! I mixed a whole packet in a bucket but have nearly used the whole lot, will tip the rest away.

It lasts about a week - when the pink colour fades, so does its efficiency. It's just that if it's kept in a sealed container the gas will build up :)

Ooh that stuff is lethal - affects my asthma even when it's just made, let alone when it goes clear and starts letting off fumes! :shock: I've always tried to rinse it well, but it's obviously not so easy on wood. I would imagine if it's thoroughly dried/aired it would be OK.

Ooh that stuff is lethal - affects my asthma even when it's just made

Really? Gosh that's really interesting, I can barely smell/notice a thing when it's freshly made up - just goes to show that you can't make assumptions about stuff doesn't it!

Back