• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scaredy bun

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
So I adopted Cloud from my neighbours last winter.
He was never very fond of humans, but I was hoping he would come around eventually. This summer he seemed to be improving.
I had him in a large run on the lawn with Zakura, and he actually started coming to me for snacks when I came down to feed them:D He'd still run when I came into the run with them though.:roll:

But now I've put him inside the shed again as it's getting too cold to keep him outside (rather, when the snow comes their run is going to get completely covered. and I'm not talking about a THIN layer of snow)
Suddenly he's gotten all withdrawn again.

When I come in he just sits in the corner of his hutch, even when I open the door to let them out. Zakura takes the first chance she gets to get out of her cage, he won't come out till I've left the shed. :?
I can pick him up as he's very calm when I do. But to do that I have to reach into the hutch to get him.

Any ideas to make him learn that humans aren't all bad?
I've had him for almost a year now and I've never been mean to him (other than picking him up when he doesn't want to, because I have to get his claws clipped every now and then. Normally I try not to stress him too much).

We've a similar problem with our bunny. We've had him almost a year, and he is getting a little friendler towards us now. He actually lets us stroke him when he is out and about in the garden now, which he never did before. He still hates being picked up, and I should really do this more to get him used to it. He is always pleased to see us, especially when there is food invloved! I think very, very slowly he is learning to trust us. Just seems to take a lot of time eh?

Is it perhaps that you see a bit less of him now the summer is over and its colder outside and darker so you dont get to spend as much time with him?

I guess as well he is getting used to a new environment in the shed and perhaps being in the shed is still darker as well?

Just ideas. I am sorry you have a little scared bunny, I hope that he comes out of himself again a bit more soon.

I've got 4 buns who don't really like people. I think it was just that you changed his home that has set him back. He will soon get used to it and then should be back to his normal self quite soon.

Well he has been inside for a few weeks now:/
It is dark inside the shed most of the time, but the outdoors is even darker (the sun sets at around 3-4 PM now:roll:)

Back