• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

It's not Myxi!

4evame

New Kit
I made a thread about a week and a half ago about my rabbit having a runny eye.

I took him to the vets and he gave me Fucithalmic eye drops. Did that for 6 days but didn't get any better. Stopped for a day, and then it moved over to his other eye, so both eyes were bad.

I panicked then.

I work for Cats Protection, and didn't realise I get discount at the vets we use, so I took him there yesterday, as I know the vets there are brilliant.

He said straight away that it's not Myxi, which was a big relief. I didn't think it was, as he had no other symptoms, but it was nice to hear it from the vet.

He checked his teeth, and they were fine.
He said it's a pasturella infection in his tear ducts, usually caused by stress from the teeth, but not in this case.
All rabbits have it in their system, and sometimes it gets overloaded.
So I've got Tiacil eye drops fro him, 3x a time, for a week!

Fingers crossed he'll be all better by then!

I asked about the Myxi vaccine and he said there is no point giving it him in the Autumn. The best time to do it is in Spring, when flies are more common, as it only protects properly for 6 months. He also said in his whole career, he's never seen VHD, so don't bother vaccinating for that!

I asked about the Myxi vaccine and he said there is no point giving it him in the Autumn. The best time to do it is in Spring, when flies are more common, as it only protects properly for 6 months. He also said in his whole career, he's never seen VHD, so don't bother vaccinating for that!

Oh dear...he probably hasn't seen VHD because bun die so quickly they don't get to see a vet! Not worth the risk in my opinion.

As for Myxi at just have to read some of the threads on here to see buns are getting in now. If you bun hasn't been vaccinated within the last 6 months I would get it now. It should be done every 6 months, so if you get it done now the next will be due early spring.

Mxyi SHOULD be vaccinasted for every 6 months.

Autumn, my rabbit, was vaccinated in June.
She caught mxyi at the start of October, and tomorrow is week 5 since i have been nursing her.

VHD is known as the silent killer. Which is why your vets would not have seen it as it only shows in postmortem, and even then, you have to do the postmortem within a few hours.

Definately vaccinate.

i was always told to get the myxi at the beginning of spring and autumn :? mine have theirs in march and september.

definitely get vhd aswell, don't take the chance. many with vhd don't make it to the vets, that is probably why he has never seen any.

is your vet a rabbit/small exotics vet?

Oh gosh, really?
I'll wait until his infection in his eyes has gone, and then get him done I think, for both!

Oh no Starlight, how is he doing?
Even though he's been vaccinated, he still got it?
Does that mean he has more chance of survival than if he wasn't vacc'd?

i was always told to get the myxi at the beginning of spring and autumn :? mine have theirs in march and september.

definitely get vhd aswell, don't take the chance. many with vhd don't make it to the vets, that is probably why he has never seen any.

is your vet a rabbit/small exotics vet?

It's him and another vet that run the practice, and the other vet is the small animals and exotics.
He wasn't on yesterday.

Oh gosh, really?
I'll wait until his infection in his eyes has gone, and then get him done I think, for both!

Oh no Starlight, how is he doing?
Even though he's been vaccinated, he still got it?
Does that mean he has more chance of survival than if he wasn't vacc'd?

Autumn is a girl :)

Look at my thread in rabbit chat called "Autumn has mxyi"

Back