• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weird eye patches

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Ralph has had something ususual going on with his eyes recently.The little line at the front of his eye (you know, the end of the teardrop shape that we would draw if we were drawing eyes) started to extend and extend and has now culminated in two baldish patches with black fur around them. This had happened on both eyes. Here is the pic, let me know what you think, or whether you think it's just his markings.

IMG00153-20091107-1216.jpg

Anybody any ideas? Am thinking of taking him to the vet today for his weight thing anyway and so if this might be something he needs a cream for, I'd like to get an appointment today so I don't have to pay emergency appt money.

Is the fur around his eyes wet? do his eyes weep at all? If so I would say it was scald causing fur loss - but to be honest i'm not sure, photo a bit fuzzy. I would certainly ask your vet about it.

I'd agree, usually fur loss there you would associate with weepy eyes. They don't look wet though?

The dark edges are just where you can see the undercoat of the adjacent fur.

Is he moulting or got any patches else where? It would be odd for mites/moult to just effect both eyes in the same area.

It's not something I would worry too much over (no need for emergency appointments) but definitely point it out to the vet when you visit.

eyeralph.jpg

Are the marks on his eyeball (A) just a reflection or an actual lesion ?
If the latter then it looks like uveitis to me :?

Area B looks like damp fur caused by dacryocystitis (runny eyes) I'd get the Vet to take a look :)

thanks all so much for your replies. I love that I can ask such knowledgeable people on this site about these things.

In response: I never see his eyes weeping at all, and that's why it really confuses me. They don't get wet or weep, they've always looked, and still look, very healthy. It's bizarre.

He does, however, get a wet nose sometimes, so I'm a bit worried it could be some sort of pasturella in his eyes? Or some sort of teeth pressure? The vet warned me that he'd have to have a dental done soon because his teeth weren't grinding down enough and they hadn't seen his molars but needed to check. They didn't let me book him in for a dental at the time as he was only one month after his neuter and apparently putting him under again wouldn't be a great idea just yet. But I'll take him in on Monday.

Jacks Jane - the white fleck on his eyes I'm sure is the reflection of the window or something. I went to check to make extra specially sure and whenever there is some sort of light he seems to reflect it in his eyes, but the white bit changes position depending on where he moves to, so I think it's just a light thing.

Thanks again, for giving such thorough and helpful replies.

Pipkins eyes were weepy for a while because his teeth roots were pressing on his tear ducts. I'd never notice his eyes actually weeping but the fur around his eyes was a bit crusty like how it looks in your pic. Pipkin didn't have any fur loss but that could be down to the scalding from the weepiness, as someone else said.

If he has teeth troubles then I'd say it is probably that, but of course get the vet to look him over for anything else. Hope you can sort it soon!

I am in agreement with the others. I can't trace the "skin rim" of the eyelids in the "problem area", & suspect some swelling (= inflammation) there.
I suspect a low grade infection in the local area, and/or of the tear duct system.
I agree with loosy that XR re needed to check whether the the tooth roots are pressing on the tear duct & partially blocking it.

He's one handsome bunny. :love::love:

I am in agreement with the others. I can't trace the "skin rim" of the eyelids in the "problem area", & suspect some swelling (= inflammation) there.
I suspect a low grade infection in the local area, and/or of the tear duct system.
I agree with loosy that XR re needed to check whether the the tooth roots are pressing on the tear duct & partially blocking it.

He's one handsome bunny. :love::love:

Thank you very much!

Back