• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Big problem--mixi

Well this is my first and mybe last forum as a bunny owner.
I have 5 rabbits-1 male-ozzy/female-mimi and there 3 babies which are now grown up.
Ozzy is in big run which has been cut in the middle for mimi to be beside him but without anymore than touching.the babies live in a big run close.

Anyway Ozzy(male) has had swollen eyes and head since yesterday and we took him to the vet the tonight and the sad news is he had mixi so we had to do the right thing and put him down before he suffered.

Now we are taking the other 4 to the vets tom to get vaccine to help stop it BUT the vet says it doesnt look good.they have high chance they have it.

Will getting a vaccine stop them from getting it or if they already have it will that give them a fighting chance.

Please i need more info and need advice-i need to know if this will be a waste of time or not

I LOVE MY RABBITS-and raised half of them from pink little rats to fluffy buns they are now:(:cry::?

Sadly if your remaining Rabbits are already incubating the disease, which is a real possibility given that Ozzy had it, then Vaccinating them will have no effect :cry: The vaccine takes 14 days to establish a full immune response and will offer no protection to a Rabbit already incubating Myxomatosis.
BUT IMO you have little to loose in vaccinating them,if they are not incubating the disease then they will at least have some protection for the next 6 MONTHS.
It is absolutely ESSENTIAL for them to be re-vaccinated on a 6 monthly basis if they do make it through this crisis.

Back