• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can't understand all these sudden deaths of bunnies

Candiflare

Mama Doe
It's making me so sad that all these bunnies on the forum are dying recently and without any explanations. Is this what sometimes happens with rabbits? Can they be fully vaccinated and healthy one minute and then dead the next? It makes me so worried that this will happen to my little buns.

I agree - it must be horrible, I guess we just have to be thankful for every day we have with them..

I would be devastated if nothing was wrong and they just died :cry:

:wave: I agree it's a bit scary, however maybe it just seems a lot as they are all condensed on the forum? It scares me about the neutering thing too as I will have that to face soon and some apparently just die during the surgery but, I read someone elses thread the other day and an experienced forum member did say it is quite rare although can happen. Hopefully it seems like a lot just because they are all being posted on here, nationally it is probably not that many compared to the number of living bun's?

I lost a bunny in Feb '08 who was begging at me and full of life at 2pm and I found her dead at 4pm, it's a huge shock. I wasn't clued up enough at the time to have a PM done, so I will always wonder, my conclusion would be heart attack, though I will never really know :cry::cry: The only consolation is that it was quick, she didn't linger on for months of unsuccessful treatment or anything.

As Kaths101 says - just be thankful for each day - treasure them :love:

I lost Autumn in August to sudden death on the way to the emergency vets. I don't think its not being clued up, but shock! I just wanted to let the others see her then have her buried with the others. She died on the Friday night, and by Sunday I was in a panic, incase it was something the others could catch. So I ended up panacuring them all and scrubbing out with bleach, and throwing things out just in case.

The PM in Newt showed he had birth defects to his arteries so his heart and liver were not getting enough blood :(

I think the problem generally with rabbits is that they hide symptoms and illness so well, that when they do go it does seem very sudden even if there was an underlying problem :?

In Newts case it was an instant thing, which we are extremely grateful for as it means he didn't suffer in any way

Back