• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are they really french lops?

crysta

Alpha Buck
Beginning to wonder about Faith and Hope. They're now at 2.5kg each, about, and they look a good size, can't feel any bones etc.

However, french lops are supposed to be 4kg?

What other kind of lop might they be, if they aren't frenchies? I admit I'm just curious at this point. :lol:

How old are they?? My lola is only starting to fill out at around 18 months old :) She weighs 4.3kg now. When i first had her, she was around 3kg though she was estimated to be around 5/6 months old.

If they are fully grown and are 2.5kg they will be dwarf lops ;)

ETA: Just looked at your siggy, they do look like frenchies!! Their ears are too big for dwarfs? xXx

They were allegedly four months when we got them, but whether they are or not is anyone's guess.

Faith is more of a dobber than Hope. :lol:

Our Alfie is a french lop buck. He is now coming up to 6 months old and the last weigh in a couple of weeks ago put him at 4.3kg. The vet is very pleased with his weight in general and he is a really active rabbit for a french lop - hes always up to something or blinkying around somewhere so not an ounce of fat on him. How old are yours? Alfie seemed to rocket up the scales between the age of 4-5 months.

Charlie, my mini lop/lionhead cross started growing when I got him, and he was supposedly 18 months old when I got him, and he had doubled in size. Not sure if it is common, but Iw ould expect with good diet and lost of space they will continue to grow.

The hutch they are in is just bed... they usually run around my kitchen throwing cardboard boxes about. :lol:

My German lops are 2kg at the moment, they are only young though. My french lop Lillian was massive, even as a baby... and her ears were absolutely huge when she was little :love:

Depends on the age, if they are only young then they probably are french lops and will weigh more when they age, otherwise they could be Dwarf lop.
Hope this helps...x :D

faith has a young frenchies face....like my willow had but the ears arent as long..yet theyre longer than a dwarf..maybe a cross?

willow was 3 months old when i got her and she looked like this

newbunny3.jpg

she grew to about double her size at about 7 or 8 months old...when she was speyed.....at just over 18 months she was STILL growing in height and lenght and weight!

here she is the summer...about 3 months before she died....the tunnel is a lrge kids ones..for those big big kids pop up tents..not the toddlers ones!!!

flymobile039.jpg

my mums dwarf lop has much shorter ears as did my first housebun also a dwarf lop.

my bertie is a frenchie and hes over 4 and a half years old....he weighs about 5kg pretty much steady. hes a small frenchie...so they do exist but 2.5kg..my bif weighs almost that!!!:shock: def a dwarf size weight!

I love hearing about Faith and Hope :love::love: (especially since I suggested their names :oops: - I feel attached somehow!!)!! They are adorable!!! They look so healthy and happy now as well, compared to when you first got them!!

Yay!!!

Willow is gorgeous too!

I think they're some kind of a cross too - if they were the 4kg you'd expect of a Frenchie, they'd be fat buns!

It doesn't matter, they're still gorgeous. :love::love::love:

George was about 8 months when he came to me. He weighed 4.5 kilos then. I have no idea how much he weighs now living at Kays, but he must be a monster by now!

They definatley have frenchie in them I think!! Look at those ears! :love::love::love:

How old are they?B is a small french lop weighing only 4.4kg but she is a sickly bun & her weight goes up & down.Your buns certainly look frenchies.You can usually tell by the ears.:)
Also french lops aren't fully grown until 18months.:)

Last edited:
I think they're some kind of a cross too - if they were the 4kg you'd expect of a Frenchie, they'd be fat buns!

It doesn't matter, they're still gorgeous. :love::love::love:

Thats exactly what I think. I have a dwarf lop (3.5kg) and a french lop (4kg but he's only just 1 yr old), their body, face and ears are totally different shapes. Yours definitely have ears like my frenchy but not his big square face and MASSIVE tail. Look at http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=201396 and you'll see what I mean by Darwins big square flat face, compared to Lavender little pointy face even though they are currently almost the same size/weight.

As you say though, you love them anyhow so it doesn't matter. :)

Back