• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

we have a 2 year old rex rabbit that we want a friend for but

amme

Warren Scout
dont know how to go about introducing a new mate or what to do sex wise of the other rabbit etc. The rabbit that we have got is a male but not sure if he has been done or not.
Can i have some advice about how to introduce a new friend and what to do please, thankyou

Well if he has balls he hasn't been done :lol:

If you can't see any then take him to the vet for a check up and they can confirm the sex at the same time.

Assuming he is a male then the best friend for him would be a neutered female. You should be able to find a friend for him at your local rescue or you can take a look on rabbitrehome. If you find someone who isn't neutered it would be best to keep them apart until this is done as it increases the chances of a successful bond.

Take a look at the bonding forum for other peoples experiences, but the basic principle is that you find somewhere neutral that neither of them buns have been before and you introduce them in a fairly small spaces and watch them very closely. You don't seperate them again at all (unless a very serious fight breaks out), they will probably have a little chasing and humping to sort out who's boss and then settle down. You gradually increase the space available and then after a few days if all is well they are bonded. :)

Whereabouts i the country are you? We can point you in the direction of your local rescue who will help with bonding and choosing the right rabbit for him. He needs to be vaccs and neutered first and will need a few weeks to recover after his op

Whereabouts i the country are you? We can point you in the direction of your local rescue who will help with bonding and choosing the right rabbit for him. He needs to be vaccs and neutered first and will need a few weeks to recover after his op

we live in brownhills near walsall west midlands. I can see balls so i take it he hasnt been done:oops:
I am only getting him a friens as he spends all day in his bedroom ( well everytime i go out to him he is in there anyway) and he seems soooo sad and lonely out there all on his own

Well if he has balls he hasn't been done :lol:

If you can't see any then take him to the vet for a check up and they can confirm the sex at the same time.

Assuming he is a male then the best friend for him would be a neutered female.

If i don't get him neuteured would i still be able to have a neutered female or would he still have to be done. i kn ow that seems a daft question i just want to be sure

I wouldn't be 100% sure that having no plums means that he has been done, unless he has bee sexed by your vet you might find that you actually have a girl :D

have a look at us www.fatfluffs.com

Have a look at the website which not only shows the bunnies currently up for adoption but also a guide to our rehoming requirements.

ps. even if he is not neutered the he would need to be before geting a friend otherwise he would be how shall we say...bonktastic and make her live a misery or he could become very terratorial. If he has been missexed and you actually have a girl then again neutering before bonding is necessary as otherwise they will probably fight & it would also protect from uterine cancer.

Last edited:
If i don't get him neuteured would i still be able to have a neutered female or would he still have to be done. i kn ow that seems a daft question i just want to be sure

He would more than likely hump her to death, & make her miserable or mardy until she fought back

And 2 boys would fight if one/both were un-neutered. There's plenty of health benefits for neutering - just find a rabbit savvy vet :D

If you contact your local Rescue, they may be able to find a friend for you & get them bonded (living together) after his neuter:D They can also advise you on accommodation size & making sure he's a happy bunny:D:D

The introduction to a neutered female is likely to be more successful & the buns get along better if your bun is neutered too - otherwise he'll probably keep 'pestering' her:oops:

From your location, the RSPCA in Walsall is probably closest - check on Rabbit Rehome (link at bottom of page in the green bar)

ok thanks.
the bunny is definatley a he as he has all the damgly bits a boy normally has LOL:oops:The vet has said that it is a boy rabbit too. I will ask the previous owner if he has been done first rather than another trip to the vets this week

When they neutered a boy rabbit they remove the testicles completely, so if you can see them he definately isn't done. However it's a very simple op and as long as he is healthy there is hardly any risk.

ok thanks i will phone the vets up and ask how much. The only thing wrong with him is that he has no hair on his neck due to mites we think, i ahve taken him to vets for that and he has had antibiotics, drops and cream for it all in a week

Back