• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angora Rabbits

Hope this is the correct place to post, am new to this so apologies if wrong:?
Can anybody give me any advice on the care and looking after of angora rabbits?

Thank
Alison

Unless you have time for a lot of grooming and particularly want the very hairy look the easiest thing is to trim them regular so the cost is a more normal length - just use scissors but be careful of the skin. Still needs regular grooming but not so much.

Vet bed is good for flooring as litter can get court in the coat, likewise hay can go in a rack to stop it getting caught up. The paper based cat litter, something pelleted is good.

Thanks

Thanks for that, the reason I ask is that I help run a rescue and we might be asked to help take in some Angora rabbits. I just want to make sure that we take them in knowing some info on how to care for them.

There's more tips here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/longhair.asp :)

You might find, depending where they have come from, they'll need shaving to start with. They get matted so easily that unless the previous owner really stayed on top of it they'll be quite bad.

I fostered an angora, he was matted so they shaved him while they did the castration. It grow back very quickly though. His fur went from fuss to 1.5" int he 6 weeks I had him.

Hope this is the correct place to post, am new to this so apologies if wrong:?
Can anybody give me any advice on the care and looking after of angora rabbits?

Thank
Alison
reply:
Like all rabbits they love attention and need to be treated with care, if indoor thats warm enough, if outside move into a shed during winter months so start moving them in, on aug/oct ok?
Angora rabbits have very long wooly coats and get tangled easily so brush them when they have been running around - especially in the garden, and brush them at least once a day, would be better twice though, and if they get wet or have a bath, once in morning once before you go to bed, this will keep the rabbit free from knots and you and your pets will be happy :)
i have never had a Angora rabbit, but i have seen them, and read a lot about them.
I have 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 tortoise and 5 rabbits,
i have had a Siberian, Dwarf Lop, Neverland Dwarfs (neighbors dwarfs), Rex, Cross beetween rex and french lop, but i know alot more breeds, and know a lot about the care and behavior of rabbits and most animals (not so many on creepy crawlies though - they are creepy, but i still like them)
Hope this helps...x :D :D

Hi, I have an angora/ lionhead cross and a cashmere lop. They need daily grooming, I bed mine on medibed, which is chopped hay. I don't trim them unless they get knots, which is usually when they are moulting- they lose a LOT of fur.
Personally I would not recommend washing as they take a long time to dry and this makes grooming more difficult, Jessice (the angora cross) then tends to get felt like mats. I don't put mine out if it is wet, but they go out on dry, sunny days.
If they are very matted when they arrive, it would probably be best to take them into the vet for sedation and a shave, as Tasmin says the hair grows quickly, so once they are clipped it should be easy enough to maintain. If you do decided to trim with scissors, be very careful, some can knot very close to the skin and it is very easy to cut the skin while cutting the knots. One of my main concerns with the long haired rabbits is flystrike, if they get runny poohs or get wet it is more difficult to clean and dry, compared to a short haired rabbit and therefore are more attractive to flies.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice, we have found space for 6 of them and as all will need neutering we will get any knot problems sorted while at the vets. Is shreaded paper better than hay for bedding? We only use hay so can any paper be used? Hope somebody can help answer that question.

Thanks Aliso

paper is fine but be aware that the skin is very thin and will cut very easy and also the bones are very fragile, they can easily break their back just by jumping a small distance, I know this from experience, they will eat as much hay as you give them they are total hay monsters

Is any paper ok, like paper from work we have shreaded or newspaper?

Thanks for all advice, means we can give these guys a better start with all this info

Back