• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Splitting babies

Rhian33

Warren Veteran
I am in contact with someone who is getting babies from her brother :roll:, yes I have explained all about neutering. I advised that getting a male and female would be best but will obviously need to be split at som epoint before neutering.

My questions are at what age should they be split? How long after both have been neutered should siblings be put back together? What age is it best to take them from mum?

I have a rough idea what the answers should be, I just want to make sure my advice is 100% spot on as we don't want even more babies do we?

Babies should be with their mum untill at LEAST 8 weeks old. Not sure about when to seperate the male and female, but once the male has been done you should wait 8 weeks as he still may be fertile.

Babies should be with their mum untill at LEAST 8 weeks old. Not sure about when to seperate the male and female, but once the male has been done you should wait 8 weeks as he still may be fertile.

Thanks, That's what I figured. Should be ok if they get the female done in the meantime just wondered if siblings are ok to be put back together sooner when both of them are neutered as they will already be bonded.

They might still fight if you just put the straight back in together, as they will have been seperate for several months which is a long time for a rabbit! You'll need to take time to introduce them slowly.

I'm no expert with the male/female thing though as I've got 2 boys!

They might still fight if you just put the straight back in together, as they will have been seperate for several months which is a long time for a rabbit! You'll need to take time to introduce them slowly.

I'm no expert with the male/female thing though as I've got 2 boys!

Yes, I meant bond them slowly but do the same rules apply about letting their hormones settle for a 6 weeks?

Back