• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The bunny I'll be getting

rawr

Warren Scout
Hey everyone :)
Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Well today I was in pets at home when I saw a little netherland bunny in the adoption centre - he had only been brought in that morning and had already been to the vet to get his teeth done as they were so long he apparently couldn't use his mouth :( and I fell in love with him so reserved him as he has to be with pets at home for three days so they can make sure he's healthy

I don't really know much about bunnies but had a spare rabbit 150 cage as I keep guinea pigs - dont worry the rabbit will not be going in with the guineas! :)

I was thinking of getting him a pellet food over museli to stop any selective feeding - is this reccommended?

Also how easy are rabbit intros as I was thinking he would need a friend - or are boys better solitary?

I haven't got any pictures yet I'm afraid :(

many thanks
xxx

Awww hope he is OK and they release him alright. I don't know how big the cage your referring to is but, I am sure lots of others will come along to advise you. There is also lots of good advice on diet etc I feed Burgess Excel pellets with fresh greens-PAH should advise you aswell but, it will probably be to buy their own brand pellets. Have a look at the other threads on diet you will find out loads of useful info. Best of luck x

I get burgess excel nugget for my guineas they love it :D

I think I'll stick with burgess but obviously get him the rabbit variation

Excel pellets are good but don't forget that about 90% of your rabbit's diet should consist of hay, so make sure he always has hay available. You can also give him some vegetables but make sure that you introduce them gradually. Make sure that you find out what he's been eating at PAH and change his diet, including the pellets, gradually.
Rabbits like companionship, so I would recommend that you find him a friend, preferably a spayed female, after he's been castrated. Actually, male rabbits remain fertile for about 4-6 weeks after castration. With regards to accommodation, what people recommend is a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch and a run.
For more information, please take a look at the RWAF leaflets which you can download here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html.
Good luck with your new frend.:wave:

Yes sounds good, rabbits don't need as much vitamin C as guineau's and you may to add a few different veggies for the bun too :love:

:wave: Antigone have a look at the other intro post/thread she needs some advice too :)

:wave: No worries, wish I could be more concise and offer more info like other members do but, I am still learning myself. You have found a really good forum though, you will learn loads and I am sure your new little bun will have landed firmly on his paws :love:

Hiya

Id speak to pets at home about his teeth too to see if they need doing regulary as this can be very expensive, id ask if you could have a discount when if you need to keep taking him back to the vets for his teeth ;) Goodluck cant wait for piccies! :D They also should give discounts on neutering adoption bunnies at their instore vets :)

A bunny friend would be lovely! I'm still learning too when it comes to bonding and that, so I don't know when or how you should get another - I just know they both need to be neutered.

Good luck with your little one, and welcome to the world of RU! :D

Thanks for the replies everyone :D I'm so excited about getting him home
They reckon he may need his teeth doing once a month and when I rang my vet it would only be 5pounds a month which is really good and I don't mind paying for his happiness :D

They are only asking for a 8 pound donation with him needed the care and him not being neutered - I thought that was really good

I'd get him checked over by a vet again after you have got him, then you'll know how serious the tooth problem really is. It could be malacclusions, in which case he might need his incisors removing, as burring in bunnies on a regular basis isn't always a good thing. If the bunny isn't neutered and he does have such a tooth problem he could have his incisors removed at the same time as his neuter. :wave: This is what we had to do for Lenny.

With regards to everything else, you seem spot on. Nuggets in my experience are better than muesli to prevent selective feeding at least. With regards to other foods, I guess it depends on the age of the bun too; good veges include spring greens, dill, coriander, mint, parsley etc.

Carrot needs to be given in moderation as it contains alot of sugar, which isn't good for the teeth.

You can also try fruits but only as treats and in small quantities as these have high sugar content.

I am unaware of the cage you have, but if the bunny will be a house rabbit, if you have the space it may be an idea to get a puppy pen or NIC cube set-up for whilst you're out and about, unless you plan to have him free-range (without influencing you to get the dental too much, if his teeth are so bad that they have to be removed, you could have him free-range, as no furniture or wires would get munched!, you're only worry would be litter training I guess!)

I got two bunnies from P@H adoption centre on different occassions, I took them both to the vets as soon as I got them, even though I was told they had just had their check-ups. Turned out one of mine had two very large gashes in his side, which formed abcesses; hence why he was in adoption, I'm so happy I got him to my vets as soon as I did!

You sound like a fabulous soon to be Bunny Mummy, and I wish your the best of luck with you little fella! :love::wave:

Thanks a lot for all the advice
I've made him an appointment for wednesday next week as I'm getting him on monday :D

Back