• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hi we're a new

Hi everyone,

Me and my rabbit larsson are even new too each other.

He was my SIL but she got a dog and didn't want him, too much work.

So we took him well his name was cookie but my boys changed it.

To be truthfully it abit overwhelming, i've never had a rabbit before, and don't know if am doing my best. Like even a child he should be cared for by the upmost.

He's indoors, so he's get out whenever we are at home, but he just sits there or trys to hid, he even just sits in his cage, i bought him toys and he doesn't even play with them.

His cage is woodshaving and so is his litter tray, he wee on there and does most of his poo's but they are all over the cage which means i do clean out the cage whole cage once a day, in his wee house we're he sleeps i put hay down on it, for him too sleep and eat too and give him a handfull of pellets as he is a big rabbit, but also i felt he was overweight, my sil gave him a bowl full. He also gets veg. He doesn't really seem into his treats like fruit and stuff.

Am just over worryed thats he's depressed, and worryed am not doing the right thing, as i said i've never had a rabbit and just using my common sense, i was thinking of getting him a other rabbit for company, but can they share the same cage ?? and i don't know what too do :( If anyone could point me in the right way.

thanks very much

To be honest it sounds like you want the best for him, i would definatly consider a friend for him, however i would look at options such as adopting rather than buying from a breeder, if u adopt youll be giving an unwanted rabbit a second chance + the rehome centre will give you alot of advice and in some cases will help with the bonding process.
Food wise a good way of feeding is 70-90% of a rabbits diet should be hay tthe rest should be greens with a few pellets a day. in other words
Lots of hay, Some greens, and a few pellets.
The one thing you need to consider is housing, ensure that u get a large enough space for them to live, as pet store bought cages are always to small for two rabbits and in most cases too small for one.
I am currently in the process of building a custom cage for my two buns to give them a much larger place to live, they still get most of the day out when we are here.
we went through a rehome centre when we got our bunny a friend, best thing we did.

if u want some idea for a custom cage theres lots in the housing section.
if u want links to some of the materials im using to make mine ill be happy to send you them via pm

rehome link below:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

my two buns, i got aurora (the white bunny) home on sunday

PICT1421.jpg

Last edited:
:wave: Hello, how long have you had him? How big is his cage? Does he have a corner litter tray at all, they are fairy cheap and you collect all his poos and put them in the tray all day same with urinating put any soiled hay in the litter and eventually he will use that to go to the toilet. I don't like woodshavings in the bottom of a cage I prefer hay and you should get a separate (holder/bowl) for his edible hay, pet shops do a range and I use the cheaper one from pets at home as bedding and Timothy Hay/Burgess Excel for eating. He could probably do with a small blanket to lie on once he is litter trained. Sounds like you love him already, I would say he is confused and frightened, are you coming down to his level and your boys to talk and stroke etc - most buns hate being picked up, you will get lots of advice and suggestions on here, I am sure you will be fine :)

:oops: meant to say fairly not fairy. Also have you considered a playpen or a dog cage for a bigger area when secured?

:wave: Me again, meant to say sorry if stating the obvious but, would be worth booking him in at the vet aswell for a complete checkup (weight) and vaccinations (if not already done). There is a list of foods suitable for rabbits on here somewhere, detailing all the safe herbs and veg etc

He's 2 years old, and i asked her today and hes had no jags at all, as i wanted too take him too the vet, she also couldn't remember what breed he was, thats also why i took him as i didn't want someone too take him and be bad too him.

We've had him now for 3 weeks, we all stroke him and try too get him too play with cat balls, and even have news paper, he as a free roam around the living, am a stay at home mum, so he's out alot. but as i said he doesn't move and this worrys me alot!

He has a litter tray, he does all his wee on there, and his poo, but also poos everywhere else.

He has a wee house thing in his cage where he sleeps which is full of hay, and the rest is woodshaving.

and where would i put the blanket ?

I was also worryed about his cage, thats why i let him out as when we are here, as it looks one from a pet shop, he couldn't stand up in up, but he can lay down no problem.

Also if i was too get a other rabbit i know we would need a far bigger cage.

Also am slightly worryed, my sons nursery have a rabbit (Though he's only stroked it once since he's been there since sept) And they made him pick that rabbit by his ears, he did it with larsson and i went mad, said to nursery and they thought it was fine ?? Also the cage is far too small for rabbit, and is on the ground, so it is also lefted at alone at night, and as u can imagine its a nursery so he's on his own. I don't know whether too phone the rspca too go and have a chat with them, they also have chickens which are all caged in and are never set free. I don't want my son learning bad habit about animals and doing the same too ours, he hasn't done it since and he's only 4.

Thanks for your reply

xxx

He's 2 years old, and i asked her today and hes had no jags at all, as i wanted too take him too the vet, she also couldn't remember what breed he was, thats also why i took him as i didn't want someone too take him and be bad too him.

We've had him now for 3 weeks, we all stroke him and try too get him too play with cat balls, and even have news paper, he as a free roam around the living, am a stay at home mum, so he's out alot. but as i said he doesn't move and this worrys me alot!

He has a litter tray, he does all his wee on there, and his poo, but also poos everywhere else.

He has a wee house thing in his cage where he sleeps which is full of hay, and the rest is woodshaving.

and where would i put the blanket ?

I was also worryed about his cage, thats why i let him out as when we are here, as it looks one from a pet shop, he couldn't stand up in up, but he can lay down no problem.

Also if i was too get a other rabbit i know we would need a far bigger cage.

Also am slightly worryed, my sons nursery have a rabbit (Though he's only stroked it once since he's been there since sept) And they made him pick that rabbit by his ears, he did it with larsson and i went mad, said to nursery and they thought it was fine ?? Also the cage is far too small for rabbit, and is on the ground, so it is also lefted at alone at night, and as u can imagine its a nursery so he's on his own. I don't know whether too phone the rspca too go and have a chat with them, they also have chickens which are all caged in and are never set free. I don't want my son learning bad habit about animals and doing the same too ours, he hasn't done it since and he's only 4.

Thanks for your reply

xxx

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: OMG - have you had a word with the Nursery? thats a terrible thing to do - can you point them to this website?
Umm no other advice really - Im new to all this too - but you definelty sound as if you are trying to do your best for your bun x x

:evil: Sorry it's not your fault but, you need firstly to get your little one a bigger cage, he should at the very least be able to stand up, ideally on his hind legs and (periscope) look around. I am sorry but, it's not surprising if he has been picked up by his ears by your son (who doesn't understand, I appreciate that) picking up by the ears is terribly cruel and painful! The nursery you are referring too needs to be reported immediately for animal cruelty-they need an inspector out there to either educate them or remove the animals - there is a law to protect animals even rabbits and chickens from abuse. They are not even aware how to handle it correctly!!!:evil:

My advice with regards yours is too invest in a much bigger cage, with a litter tray in the corner with megazorb or woodshavings under lots of hay- the rest of the base of the cage should be hay ideally. His food and water should be opposite ends of the cage to his toilet area. If he had a bigger cage then you could maybe fit a small bed area in too. With regards your children I would personally only allow the bun out to free range when they are not around initially, let them stroke him very gently but, never ever should a young child pick a rabbit up ! I think your bunny sounds a bit scared/shocked - he needs a firm routine (cleaning and feeding) and lots of time before you can expect him to play with cat balls, sorry but, you are going to have a job here if you want to win him over. If you can do it I am sure you will have a lovely personality emerge. I wouldn't even contemplate getting another one yet either you have a lot to do with this one first I would say. Please report that nursery, they sound completely stupid.:roll:

Hi, this is what been worrying me all day about the nursery, i told my OH tonight, its been worrying me for a while, but i don't know much about either animals, but i was very shocked when my son done this (He also has autism and i couldn't believe it, i did say too them but they told me it was good for the rabbit as it makes them move when there put down, and also one of the ladys who's lives across the road has two in different rabbits two very small cages on the ground and she does it too) Am defo going to phone the rspca tomorrow as i felt they we're just using the animals as a way too sell the nursery ifswim, My children aren't allow too pick up the rabbit at all, and they never do, they tryed too at first and he was scared, i have been very stricted about that, they are only allowed too stroke and talk too, and they have too ask first. As i felt since he was in a new home, he needs too get use too us all, and you know what children are like. They have to learn too care for rabbit. They just let him sit there in corner.

How big should i get the cage, should we build one, my OH does have wood and mesh for a outdoor one, which he was going too build outside with runs but i was against the idea as he so use too being indoors, though sil shoved him outside as she was fed up with him chewing stuff, though she didn't say how as she only gave us the cage. He has a house in the cage he's in the now. I will post a picture of what its like.As i said i felt it was small so i let him out between 10- 14 hrs a day in my living room, there's no cables he can chew or anything like that.

And what do you mean a firm routine ?? How can i help him ?? I fear he was lefted very much alone in SIL, as she worked all the time and so did her OH. I am prepared too put the work in, he does sit on my lap very nicely and lets me stroke him while am watching tv, and he seems too like this.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
:D If he is sitting on your lap your making progress.

Firstly the nursery sound a bit stupid to me, rabbits are not toys and if they have one to educate the children thats good but, they could at least have researched how to look after it! Yes report them and the other woman who is doing it, you could suggest to them both that they join the forum aswell!

I think if he has been indoor it's a bit late to put him out now with the weather turning. I would look on Ebay at indoor accomodation or dog cages which will be bigger and you might get a bargain. Don't worry too much if he is quiet it will take a long time for him to trust and settle, if he was with your sil for 2 years then he has had quite a disruption (even if he wasn't that well looked after). He needs to trust you and what I meant with regards routine is that with all animals they do thrive on a basic routine. If you can maybe when you have dropped the little one at school come back, let him out, clean out and feed and sit and hand feed the greens and then put him away for the little one coming home. Wait till it's quieter (eg after dinner) and then do the same let him out add some fresh hay and hand feed greens etc then let him do his thing-if he wants to sit let him. (Bunnies can sleep with their eyes open). Eventually he will trust, I know it helps sometimes to lay on the floor and keep still and curiosity makes them come and see what you are doing/if your OK. The main thing to watch for is not eating/pooing these are really serious and you should see a vet really quickly in the event of this happening.

Hope I have helped in some way - I am not the most experienced on the forum so if you check tomorrow some others will hopefully advise aswell.

Don't be too hard on yourself it sounds like he has finally found a nice person to do the right thing for him. Do take him to the vet aswell for a health check and vaccinations - they will advise you aswell. I am sure someone on here could advise you of a good rabbit vet in your area aswell. Best of luck, keep us posted how you get on and if you get a better 'set-up' for him.:love:

I agree with everything Vicki has recommended. The only thing that I've got to add is that it would be best to get the rabbit neutered, as this will help with litter training. I agree that woodshavings are not a good idea; use megazorb and hay on top, instead. There is some information with regards to diet, health and accommodation in the RWAF leaflets, which you can download here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html
Welcome to RU.:wave:

thank you very much for your advice, i know its late but my son is ill and up late.

firstly i feel that any pet you have should be looked into how you care for them and make there life best as poss, just like i was like when i was pregnant with my son, and afterwards, you take everything in, and find out whats best for them and the rabbit is no different in my eyes. or maybe am just crazy, Its just very tough when i have had this rabbit put in my care without knowing what to do, i tryed my common sense guide me i.e with the picking up by its ear, its diet, not being allowed outside, not let my children handle it. As these things too me are awful. I won't let my 4 and 2 year old pick up my 5 months old son, so i wont expect to pick up the rabbit, Even though my SIL said i had too watch him scratching the boys when they picked him up and me, I have too say he has never done this too. Thats why i don't get the nursery doesn't act the seem as i do, it common sense really and it has been worrying me, i will be phoning the rspca tomorrow morning. Tonight while he was hoping about he has been sitting next too my chair, and sumtimes going on his leg and reaching up too me if that makes sense.

Our routine with the rabbit is, i get up 6am i let him out his cage, i turn his water bottle the other way, so he can take water when he's out his cage. And then get a handle of food for his food and put it in, he out of the cage until 8am when my children get up, he's back out after 9am and then he's put back in at 12pm when i take my son too nursery, he gets taken out at 4ish and then i gave him a bowl of veg at 5pm, he goes back in his cage at 5pm when i have too go and pick up my son, we don't get back till 6.30pm he's then taken out of his cage when the boys go too bed at 7ish, and wont go back in till i go too bed. I leave his bowl out his cage, and i also put hay outside his cage as well, i also open the front of the cage open for him so he can go in and out, so he can jump in and out ifswim too use the loo which he does.

Am i doing this right ???

On note of the vet, thats why i texted her today too ask his breed and if he had any jabs (He's has none in the two years) As i wanted too take him to the vets too get checked over and need as much info as i had.

its so much too take in, i just want him too be happy and well cared for.....

thank you

xxx

Last edited:
awww poor bunnies, that nursery sounds horrible :evil:

Thats great that you're giving him plenty of exercise, the more room he has the better. You can get some great dog crates that are often being sold second hand to put indoor buns in at night. Neutering is definetely a good idea, it'll help with his toilet training ;) and stop any unwanted hormonal behaviour!

Welcome to RU :wave:

:wave: You are taking good care of your rabbit.
As far as the nursery is concerned, I wouldn't hold my breath about the RSPCA doing anything about it:( (although I may be wrong). If I were you I would print out the animal welfare bill leaflet (which you can download for the link included in my previous post) and hand it over to them, explaining that they are breaking the law. If they do nothing about it, I would write to them and also talk to other parents who send their kids to that nursery. At this point I would threaten to call the RSPCA, take the kids away from that nursery etc.
Good luck!:wave:

i have sent you a pm with links of all the stuff you can buy quite cheaply from places like B & Q/argos and amazon etc to build your new bunny home with :)

Last edited:
:wave: See some good advice and tips coming along, I am sure he will be fine in time, you clearly want to do the right thing and it sounds like he is getting lots of love and attention and protection now. Maybe just try and get a bigger set up for when he is locked in and have a look at the diet threads to see all the yummy stuff you can tempt him with and how much etc It's lovely that you are doing the right thing - don't forget to update the thread or do a new one with what happens at the nursery. You have had some good advice with regards that- it was also playing on my mind after speaking to you on here last night-that poor little bun hasn't got a very nice life at all in there has it, surely someone takes it home at weekends or is it sent home to random kids like a toy for the weekends? It just beggars belief - I don't think I would trust them with kids if they don't have the common sense to realise they are probably really hurting it picking it up by the ears:evil: Do they pick all the children up by the hair!!!

Back