• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

biting

I've had Tarka (my boy rabbit) for a few weeks now and had him neutered two weeks ago. Out of the blue yesterday, he lunged towards me and bit my leg (not very hard) and today he lunged forwards to bit my hand (again not very hard). He has lunged towards me before (in fact every morning when I give him breakfast) and I thought this was a friendly act to greet me but now I wonder if he was gearing up for an attack. I have read that rabbits can be bitey, so I would like to know how to stop this becoming a habit. Also what does the lunging mean - is he pleased to see me or is he threatening me. He makes no noise and doesn't stamp his feet. I don't want the biting to get worse, as my 4 year old likes to pet Tarka and I wouldn't want him to bite her. He also hates to be held, but I move him every day from his hutch to a separate run and back again. Often the technique I use to hold him goes wrong and he wriggles a lot. I don't want to hurt him and so far I don't think I have, but could I have hurt him by mistake and this is why he is biting now? Please could anyone advise me what to do here. Thanks.

If he knows you're coming to pick him up I think he's just trying to tell you to get lost.

Is there any way the run and hutch could be connected so he doesn't have to be picked up so often?

Reply to question 1 : biting.
LOL, sorry. just reminds me of one of mine, Cheeky charlie - he lives up to his name!
He tries attacking me every time i go to get him out of hutch - this is understandable territorial, but CC (cheeky charlie), is very naughty, when i go to catch him to go in his hutch, he puts his ears down, opens his mouth, and jumps and me, attacks me and chases me round the garden - and i am screaming, you wouldnt think anyone would be scared of a rabbit, but you havent met cheeky charlie then have you?
But, he looks so sweet and innocent, i have a few scars from him on my hand, when he bites you, HE BITES YOU, and holds on like he had lock jaw, and he has a painful bite!
He has beautiful eyelases tho - long ones, he is really beautiful, when you have got him out of the hutch he is as good as gold, a real sweetie, but he just has a cheeky side lol :)
So your rabbit may be terrortorial, thats all, this mainly happens with bucks (males) more than does (FEMALE) but Snowy, he is not like this, he wees up you sometimes when you want to try and catch him (cc also does this too), but he never bites he pops his head out of hutch door when i open it for you to fuss his head, but he eats his hutch instead. lol. :) :D

I agree, i expect he knows that you are coming to pick him up - some bunnies hate to be picked up (comes from being hunted) - mine do aswell so i have to tread very carefully.

I have also been bitten. I caught her unawares once. You must always talk to them so they know you are there and not approach them suddenly.. I never pick mine up now unless I really have to - Start off with gaining their trust by stroking and nose rubs etc. Can you transport in a carrier or move the hutch and run together so you dont have to pick him up, He will be very territorial you have to be careful when putting your hands in 'their' areas.

I doubt you have hurt him :love:

tilly bit me once when he was young, best thing to do when they bite is not to pull your hand out, theyll then realise that biting doesnt work. was it a painful bite?

tilly circles and grunts at me and paws at my legs and gives me nips on my leg, apparently its a mating thing, he sees me more of a girlfriend than a mum... so your bunny might have just bee saying hello. or might have just been saying, "leave me alone please!"

x

matthew and tabitha have their own songs that i sing when i'm coming to pick them up. then if they want to run, they can. it won't necessarily stop me, but it lets me know what mood they're in.

i always let tabby know what i'm about, and stroke her nose before picking. she used to bite terribly but she loves to be stroked and groomed (as long as her feet are on a firm surface) so she will accept being picked up if she thinks a nice rub is on the way.

Back