• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What on Earth?! U/D post 9

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I've just had a little stroke of Fay and noticed she had a lump protruding out of her back. Felt a bit closer and it felt really hard but also sharp, like she had a tiny loose bone fragment.

I sat her on my lap to have a good look - quite hard to get right down to skin level. It looks like a boil but then somthing thin and black was poking out of it. Its really hard to see what it is and I didnt want to distress her but it looks like either a really small and extremely thin bone sticking up, a rabbit claw (perhaps from a fight) or a metal nail. :shock::shock::shock:

It doesnt look recent as she seems comfortable with us touching it and there is no blood, but it does protrude through the skin.

Has anyone ever come across this before? We are still bonding them (I have put posts in bonding section) and I dont want to take her to vets if its non-urgent and something they may remove at some point, but equally dont want to leave her in pain or to become infected?!?!?

Poor girl. What with her ear yesterday after they were fighting. Maybe I should get both to the vets for a check-up and maybe the ride will help with bonding?! No, ignore that, they were only moved last night, dont want to stress them again with another change of scene!!

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not just a scab? They can sometimes feel really scary but when you get right in there, it's just a dry old bit of skin. Hope everything's OK.

Can you post a picture of it ?

I thought about trying to take a pic but didnt want to keep poking at her as it was quite hard to find underneath all the hairs. Plus OH was stressing about not "keeping them separated" as we are bonding.

I can only describe it I have above though! :oops:

Are you sure it's not just a scab? They can sometimes feel really scary but when you get right in there, it's just a dry old bit of skin. Hope everything's OK.

No there's no scabbiness to it at all - no blood, or crustiness. More like a bump or boil or nodule (but not myxi like - not that I have any experience I just dont think it is). I just cant understand what could have got caught in like that. It goes right in to her skin and down. :(

Its hard to tell without seeing a pic. Could you get your OH to take it quick while you hold her?

It could be a claw that has got caught in her- if it is it will need removing as it might get infected.

Its hard to tell without seeing a pic. Could you get your OH to take it quick while you hold her?

It could be a claw that has got caught in her- if it is it will need removing as it might get infected.

Yes it could well be as they have been fighting!! Oh gosh, panicking now!! :shock: I am so bad with these things.

Right will get OH and will post asap - please bear with me though as we are having hard drive problems and I really really appreciate everyone's help/advice.

Thanks
Helen

Just took some pictures but our camera unfortunately is not good enough to come out. You really cant see from any of them what I am getting it.

It does feel like a claw.

I will make a vets appointment tomorrow. :(

Hello, just to update, I took Fay to the vets today. Vet wasnt particularly concerned.

He tried to pull it out with his scissory things as it does look like a claw, and it has gone ever so slightly scabby but probably from where we have been poking at it. But it wouldnt come out, so he came to the conclusion that its either a past injury (eg bite) which was infected at the time but now healed OR a hair follicle which has got trapped and previously infected.

He didnt think that there was any current infection or anything causing her discomfort, so said it'll probably just need to be left but does want to see her again in 2 weeks to be sure.

Very odd. Looked quite painful but she was very brave.

Her ear though - OMG it is soo bad from where Starbuck has bitten her. I feel so guilty about trying to bond them and them having fought. I just hope that it is worth it in the end if they end up happy together. (Please please please let this be the case!).

Hi glad to hear there does not seem to be any real concern.
Before reading your last post I was thinking an ingrown hair as they can be very nasty and feel quite sharp- I am a hairdresser and have had many in my hands and even feet- little *******! :evil:

Hi glad to hear there does not seem to be any real concern.
Before reading your last post I was thinking an ingrown hair as they can be very nasty and feel quite sharp- I am a hairdresser and have had many in my hands and even feet- little *******! :evil:

Really?! :shock: It would never have occurred to me but thats what the vet thought was most likely. Thats reassuring that you think so too, as it just feels so sharp I was thinking "eh, thats not right!".

Yeah they can really get sunk in right under the skin :shock:
Obviously I am not an expert but if the vet has had a look and does not think it anything to worry about then I would not worry unless anything changes. :wave:

Yeah they can really get sunk in right under the skin :shock:
Obviously I am not an expert but if the vet has had a look and does not think it anything to worry about then I would not worry unless anything changes. :wave:

Thank you, thats great to know. I never would have thought a hair could feel like that but I suppose if its an old injury then its got well embedded.

Thanks.

Back