• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rabbits Are Really Ill :(

angel_night

Mama Doe
My dad just phoned me (as I'm away at University), and just told me that my paired 2 girls are ill :(. They've been to the vets and they've had a load of anti-biotics, but Cally is really, really ill and I don't think she's going to pull through :cry:. Dusty is coming down with it as well but she's only just started. They've been seperated, but I'm so worried. I've been sat here in tears. I don't know what to do. I've asked them to move Cherry right away from where Cal and Dust are. I think it's Myxi, though the vet isn't sure. I don't understand. They have vaccinations :cry: . I'm going home tomorrow, but I don;t think Cally will still be there. I;m so upset. Cally was my first rabbit and I'm going to lose her

Hello

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I had to leave my rabbits with my parents when I went to university aslo and lost my beloved first rabbit Flopsy. She was ill so I wnt home for the weekend but I had an assessment that I had to attend so went back to uni even though Flopsy was ill.... she was put down during my assessment. No one on my course could understand why I was so distraught over a rabbit:roll: I regret attending that assessment a lot.

My advice if it is lecture you can miss or a paper you can hand in via email go home and be with your bunny. Hope this helps

i can't get home till tomorrow, as i have no way of getting home from the station. as i get so few contact hours a week as well, i just can't afford to miss any of them. i can't believe this has happened. i feel so guility. dont know what to do, and im all on my own :(

Hi angel_night
There seem to be a few on here who's rabbits seem to have succumbed to this awful disease despite being vaccinated. It seems the vacc makes them more likely to recover and the effect less severe.
This is very distressing for you all, especially as you're away. If its Myx it can be carried by mosquitoes so check for puddles/ponds etc nearby.
I hope your pair pull through soon.

i can't get home till tomorrow, as i have no way of getting home from the station. as i get so few contact hours a week as well, i just can't afford to miss any of them. i can't believe this has happened. i feel so guility. dont know what to do, and im all on my own :(

*hugs* Please don't blame yourself...unfortunately these things happen, are your parents rabbit people? If not I would phone the vet who has seen the bunnies and talk to her/him about what can be done, then phone your parents and explain.

If your parents are rabbit people then by leaving them at home when you are a uni you have provided them with the best care they can have. If your still worried however I would phone the vets for a chat.

I know when I was at uni i worried that they weren't with me but at least I knew they were safe at home and loved.

I honestly sympathise with how anxious and worried you must be and I'm sending all the vibes in the world.

they arent rabbit people, no. but my mum is an animal lover, and i know she will do her best. i trust her with them more than anyone else. i just cant believe this has happened.

we;re probably in the worst area for myxi :( we're surrounded by ditches. the vet said its beenr eally bad round here and cardiff because of a proplonged autumn? grr! why has this happened :cry:

Sorry I can't give more advice but I know a lot of members have been affected by Myxi this year so I'm sure someone will be along soon who is more useful than I have been.

p.s I love your board name :)

Nooo, you've given great advice, and it's so nice to have people supporting me on here. i don't want my flatmates to see me like this. one of their grandad's died a couple of weeks ago, and i dont want to upset her more.

thank you so much for your support though. it's so lovely that people care

and i love your name too :). i adore unicorns!

Ruth xx

cally passed away last night; i didnt get home in time :cry:. mum said dusty is better than she was yesterday. she's going back to the vets tomorrow, so im hoping that they agree. cherry is still symptomless, so thre vaccine with her at least seems to be protecting her.

im so sorry cally :(

Ruth xx

I'm so sorry.:cry: Please don't blame yourself, as it seems that there's nothing you could have done about her xx

what an awful shock :cry::cry::cry:

sending loads of vibes xxxxx

only just saw your update. im so sorry for your loss :cry::cry::cry:

Back