• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Correct Baytril dosage?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
Errol was brought to the vets on monday following this thread:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=202084

The vet told me to give him baytril for a week and see how he goes, but the dosage he told me was 1.5mls once a day. after thinking about it that seems a little low :? i usually give an average sized rattie 0.4mls once or twice a day, so when you compare a 500g rat to a 3kg rabbit it seems like not alot!

So i was basically wondering if anyone knew what the correct dosage would be to give a 3kg rabbit? i know vets tend to underdose with baytril anyway :roll: but im already disappointed with how my appointment went on monday as he barely gave him a check over before advising a week of baytril! :roll:

oh and any tips on getting the full dose into him would be appreciated too lol ive been syringing it but he still manages to dribble some out, the sneaky bun!

Not sure what the dosage is for rabbits but the dosage I know is correct for rats is 1 ml per day for every kg of body weight (or 0.1ml for every 100g) split into 2 doses. Your 3kg rabbit should have 3ml per day split into 2 doses 0f 1.5ml if the same rules apply but like I said, I'm not sure if the same rule stands.

Thankyou both for the replies. the baytril is 2.5%. and yeah i was trying to work it out based on the rattie dosages too but didnt know if the same rules applied either:?

Just bumping this up because im still unsure of the correct dosage, dont want to be under dosing Errol :? would ring the vets to ask if it wasnt them that told me the wrong dose to begin with :lol:

I thought the average dose for buns works out at 0.4ml per kg so i'd say rat dose was high rather than bun low. I don't know if the dose differs for once daily though.

Hiya Belinda:wave:, my vet prescribes 0.2ml per kg of rabbit x twice a day, hope you are OK

Hello Theo! :wave::D im great thankyou for asking, the bunnies are just giving me a hard time at the moment :lol: are things well with you? Did Romeo settle into his new home well? i often think about him and the kitties Jane took, knowing they are getting the love they deserve now:love:

Thanks for the replies with dosages, seems everyones vet says different lol to be honest im not convinced Errol even needs baytril, all the bunnies seem perfectly healthy to me and i dont think his lip has abcessed after all either-think it was just swollen and its gone right down now and looks nice and healthy(no smell or puss etc). suppose i shall continue with the dosage i was told for now. in the mean time im trying desperately to re bond the boys! but that is for my other thread:lol:

That dosage of 1.5ml once a day of 2.5% baytril sounds about right to me. Although in cases of severe infection it has been prescribed as a twice daily dosage.

I usually use the 10% Baytril and the dosage is usually 0.3ml, or 0.4ml of 10% once daily.

Cerys :)

Hello Theo! :wave::D im great thankyou for asking, the bunnies are just giving me a hard time at the moment :lol: are things well with you? Did Romeo settle into his new home well? i often think about him and the kitties Jane took, knowing they are getting the love they deserve now:love:

Thanks for the replies with dosages, seems everyones vet says different lol to be honest im not convinced Errol even needs baytril, all the bunnies seem perfectly healthy to me and i dont think his lip has abcessed after all either-think it was just swollen and its gone right down now and looks nice and healthy(no smell or puss etc). suppose i shall continue with the dosage i was told for now. in the mean time im trying desperately to re bond the boys! but that is for my other thread:lol:

Hiya:wave:

Romeo is fine thanks and bonded with a lovely little girlie bunny, he is very, very happy, thanks for what you did Belinda it's very much appreciated;)

Just found this thread. Bungle has been prescribed 0.5ml of Baytril twice a day incase of infection in his cut nose/mouth.

Back