• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding bunnies ... should I or shouldn't I?? *shock - decision!!!*

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I know it's difficult to answer without knowing the bunnies, but the score is:

Artie (5) has ongoing problems with bladder sludge/stasis-bloat episodes. He's had quite a few over-night stays at the vets and is likely to need this as an ongoing issue. Though with planning it might be possible for him to have his bladder expressed at the right intervals and his 'not well' episodes could be reduced.

He lives in the same room as Esme (18 months) divided by a NIC barrier and they are amicable. I *think* Esme is more needy of Art's company and Art seems a bit ambivilant about her at times, though I'm sure benefits from her being there.

I feel it woud be better for them to live together except:

Monitoring closely how much he is eating. She hoovers up her pellets while he takes his time, I need to monitor closely for quality of poops etc to try and noticed he's off colour before a crisis. I know other sick bunnies live with well bunnies but I'm not confident I could spot the signs as easily if they are togehter.

The thing that worries me more is he hates his stay at the vets and I'm worried about it being worse for him if he gets very attached to Esme and then has to be separated. (If he's admitted to vets for not eating she won't be able to stay with him).

He's on meds at the moment but is well so should be okay to try. I have two weeks of 5 day spells before starting a new job :?

Any thoughts or sharing of similar experiences would be appreciated.

Last edited:
awww hun its such a tough one, i think the fact you are still so full of doubts then really things should be left as they are, they are happy and they sort of have each other.. i know im a great advocate of loved up bunnies but thats because we have no issues and i can tell the poops apart :oops:

i would still be the first looking for pics and updates if you decided to go ahead tho :oops::lol::lol:

awww hun its such a tough one, i think the fact you are still so full of doubts then really things should be left as they are, they are happy and they sort of have each other.. i know im a great advocate of loved up bunnies but thats because we have no issues and i can tell the poops apart :oops:

i would still be the first looking for pics and updates if you decided to go ahead tho :oops::lol::lol:

Thanks. The full of doubts isn't the situation so much as I'm the most cautious person ever :roll:

I can see a vision of in six months time wondering what all the fuss was about and why it took me so long to get round to it. I'm such a worrier :roll:

I worried..... im not going to lie it was horrendous, hard work and i nearly gave up several times, i never thought i was going to get there.... but now i have four binded happy bunnies and it was all worth it ;)

Well, I've just bought a new litter tray (neutral)
counted up the spare NIC panels (neutral)
plus dug out a piece of carpet (you've got it, neutral)

I wonder what this could mean ??? :?

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

postponed, again

Today is the day I had thought about starting bonding but Art had been quite the last couple of days, not eating all his caecals either :?. As I decided to postpone/cancel he's bright and lively today :roll: I wonder if he was quiet because I now work away from home Monday and Tuesday and he was just bored - bonding would have been good then :roll:

*maybe next week then*

:lol:!!! I can't wait to see these two settled and happy together!!! I'm sure they will do just fine, Even if Artie has to go off to the vets for a few nights, I think that living side by side for so long on her own Esme should be able to cope. It will also give Artie someone to get better and return home for!!! I think things like that can be worked around in the end. :thumb: Good Luck!!

:lol:!!! I can't wait to see these two settled and happy together!!! I'm sure they will do just fine, Even if Artie has to go off to the vets for a few nights, I think that living side by side for so long on her own Esme should be able to cope. It will also give Artie someone to get better and return home for!!! I think things like that can be worked around in the end. :thumb: Good Luck!!

Thanks, your thinking sounds like what I dare to think .... I just need the courage to put them together and hope they don't actually dislike each other. Hopefully next week then (I have said that a few times ......)

Thanks, your thinking sounds like what I dare to think .... I just need the courage to put them together and hope they don't actually dislike each other. Hopefully next week then (I have said that a few times ......)

:lol: you'll get there, and like you said before in 6 months time you'll wonder what all the fuss is about, Look at Tinks and Roo - they are madly in love :love: - you've already succeeded once....

:lol: you'll get there, and like you said before in 6 months time you'll wonder what all the fuss is about, Look at Tinks and Roo - they are madly in love :love: - you've already succeeded once....

But it wasn't me that bonded them. I just need the courage for the actual bonding... having seen what Roo did to my finger this morning (by accident) I dread to think what they could do to each other if they meant it :shock:

Could you not ask them to bond Esme and Artie for you too? - As long as they know all the signs to look out for with Artie....

Could you not ask them to bond Esme and Artie for you too? - As long as they know all the signs to look out for with Artie....

:oops::oops: I can't bear to be parted from him :oops: It's hard enough leaving him at the vets. I also feel bad asking a rescue to bond shop bought bunnies, it's just cheeky :oops:

I think I just need to write it in my diary and not chicken out.... In theory I could do it tomorrow - I'd still have four days together :shock::shock::shock:

Hehe - If I had any holiday time left I'd come and do it for you :p

Actually I think starting right now would be perfect - I just bonded 3 over the weekend - 3 days and now they are madly in love :shock::shock:

*takes deep breath*

Ok, so, unless there's a jolly good reason not to ... I'm going to introduce them on Wednesday :shock::shock::shock:

I've decided they are very in tune with each other - they beg as a pair for instance :roll::lol:

I will have from Wednesday to Sunday to watch over them before having work on the Monday. It also leaves us a fortnight before he has to go to the vets for his x-ray - hopefully enough time for them to be well established. :D

I need some strong gloves (might have to borrow some leather gloves - perish the thought but I can't think of any other strong protective gloves :?)

Whoop woo that's great news! :D Sending you lots & lots of successful bonding vibes Alison :wave: xx

Thank you. Right now I think I'd rather have all my teeth taken out without anaesthetic :oops:

What's the ideal size pen - I'm working on about 2ft x 4ft - is that too big for starters? They are both about 2.8kg bunnies.

I've got a neutral place and equipment, a brush to part them, water spray bottle. I know to sprinkle food rather than put it in a dish.

I know nipping and humping is okay but locking on isn't.

I'm so convinced I will forget something important. :roll:

Not spending any time with the other two for about 48 hours is going to be hard - their hoomin grandma will have to tend needs.

Back