• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits being rehomed.

Starlight

Warren Veteran
For anyone wondering.

Yes, all the rabbits here are in quarantine.
And have been for almost 5 weeks now.

However, my vet says Autumn should have the all clear in a few weeks, due to her nodules starting to ever so slightly, peel away.

This is why i have started putting some of the rabbits in RIN. In the hope, that in a few weeks, when my little girl has been confirmed as over mxyi, some of the buns can find a home for christmas, to spend with a new family.

Gosh Kris, im sure you dont have to explain yourself on here hun!

It would be lovely for some of the buns to go to new homes for christmas :love:

Glad Autumn is picking up now, i will be so relieved for you both when she gets the all clear

xXx

For anyone wondering.

Yes, all the rabbits here are in quarantine.
And have been for almost 5 weeks now.

However, my vet says Autumn should have the all clear in a few weeks, due to her nodules starting to ever so slightly, peel away.

This is why i have started putting some of the rabbits in RIN. In the hope, that in a few weeks, when my little girl has been confirmed as over mxyi, some of the buns can find a home for christmas, to spend with a new family.

i wouldnt worry about the myxi spreading anyway as it is transmitted by biting insects so any bun could always ge tit at any time having another rabbit around who has myxi is no mroe of a threat than not having one. x

i wouldnt worry about the myxi spreading anyway as it is transmitted by biting insects so any bun could always ge tit at any time having another rabbit around who has myxi is no mroe of a threat than not having one. x

I have 16 buns here and only one got myxi - even her partner who she snuffled and sneezed over and who shared her hay bed etc etc did not get it.

None of the others got it and they all have hay from same bale, come into contact with same things etc etc - it was just her bad luck to be bitten by the myxi mozzie.

Same thing happened years ago when Damson got it.

I happily took an adoption from Kris a few weeks ago and she was happy to rehome to me as we both understood the risks (or rather the not risks). Only if the rabbit concerned has fleas or other blood biting insects would I be at all concerned..

I decided to put up a thread, as in talks with a member via private messaging, they mentioned others whom have also been concerned.

Yet i see, not concerned enough to take it up with me, just to twitter amongst themselves.

If anyone has any concerns about anything regarding the rescue, please DO take it up with me, do not simply talk behind my back. That resolves nothing.

Well when one of my buns got it - her bonded partner got it too, & I removed buns from the same room in case there was a biting insect flying round in there passing it between them

I'm still in quarantine too - Suki is tons better now - just one manky eye, the I get the all clear:D

There was an article years ago which looked at the infective period of myxi buns and it was surprisingly short - much shorter than the period it typically takes the bun to get better. If had more time in life would re-find it - alas lecture writing calls!

To be frank I would say that unless someone on here has completed or knows of a new updated serious and sustained research study into the vectors of transmission, infection periods etc etc of myxi in pet rabbits then we are all having to rely on our own incomplete readings and often poor understanding ( I certainly am not a research vet or biological scientist and so do not completely understand all the material ).

Many of the articles available quote research done decades ago often for completely different reasons, none as far as I know specifically aimed at establishing infection periods and vectors in domestic rabbits kept as pets, or specifically focussed on nodular myxi or on transmission and infection in previously vaccinated rabbits or the role of myxi mutation (quite a few variables there!).

In fact the only two things everyone seems to agree on is that mozzies and other blood biting insects (although perhaps not all) are vectors, and that a vaccinated rabbit reacts differently to a non-vaccinated one.

Therefore I would suggest that the decision to adopt or not adopt from a rescue that has an animal affected by myxi is one that is a personal one, albeit based on ones personal attempts at understanding and personal experience. I chose to do so , others may not.

Starlight has been very frank and open with the fact that she has a rabbit with myxi and if one adopts from her rescue one knows that.

How many of us would demand that ALL the rabbits in a rescue were tested for EC and guaranteed totally clear of it before adopting one rabbit from that rescue???? And yet chronic EC can be a 'silent killer' and is perhaps more easily passed between rabbits than myxi. (PS just to be clear I am not suggesting that Starlights buns have EC - just giving another scenario!!).

Last edited:
I decided to put up a thread, as in talks with a member via private messaging, they mentioned others whom have also been concerned.

Yet i see, not concerned enough to take it up with me, just to twitter amongst themselves.

If anyone has any concerns about anything regarding the rescue, please DO take it up with me, do not simply talk behind my back. That resolves nothing.

This is what i see wrong. I cannot stand people who talk behind other peoples backs. You are one of the most genuine people on here Kris. I respect what you do, you work so hard.

Anyway, back on track, im glad everything is looking up for you and your girl xXx

Thank you everyone for the support and thank you Becky, that made me smile :).

I would like to thank the member who originally pm'ed me, for bringing her concerns to me, and being honest, rather than simply gossiping about me.

Some of the buns are foster bunnies too that live with me so are miles and miles away from Kris's ;)

The RWF have indicated in an article that there is a risk from rabbit to rabbit transmission also.

The RWF have indicated in an article that there is a risk from rabbit to rabbit transmission also.

Please be assured that Autumn does not come into any contact with any other rabbits apart from the other 5 in her group.
All of which are Kris' own rabbits (all kept indoors)

Glad Autumn is nearing the all clear..but sorry you've had to post this.
gossip is all you need when coping with such an ill bunny xxx

"Please be assured that Autumn does not come into any contact with any other rabbits apart from the other 5 in her group.
All of which are Kris' own rabbits (all kept indoors)"

Sorry, should have been clearer. My post re myxi was not to hijack Kris' thread, but because there appears to be ambiguity over myxi which perhaps we need to debate under a separate thread. Ill post the article separately.

Its great Autumn is doing well and the other bunnies were not affected. Hope they find homes for Xmas.

Last edited:
There was an article years ago which looked at the infective period of myxi buns and it was surprisingly short - much shorter than the period it typically takes the bun to get better. If had more time in life would re-find it - alas lecture writing calls!

To be frank I would say that unless someone on here has completed or knows of a new updated serious and sustained research study into the vectors of transmission, infection periods etc etc of myxi in pet rabbits then we are all having to rely on our own incomplete readings and often poor understanding ( I certainly am not a research vet or biological scientist and so do not completely understand all the material ).

Many of the articles available quote research done decades ago often for completely different reasons, none as far as I know specifically aimed at establishing infection periods and vectors in domestic rabbits kept as pets, or specifically focussed on nodular myxi or on transmission and infection in previously vaccinated rabbits or the role of myxi mutation (quite a few variables there!).

In fact the only two things everyone seems to agree on is that mozzies and other blood biting insects (although perhaps not all) are vectors, and that a vaccinated rabbit reacts differently to a non-vaccinated one.

Therefore I would suggest that the decision to adopt or not adopt from a rescue that has an animal affected by myxi is one that is a personal one, albeit based on ones personal attempts at understanding and personal experience. I chose to do so , others may not.

Starlight has been very frank and open with the fact that she has a rabbit with myxi and if one adopts from her rescue one knows that.

How many of us would demand that ALL the rabbits in a rescue were tested for EC and guaranteed totally clear of it before adopting one rabbit from that rescue???? And yet chronic EC can be a 'silent killer' and is perhaps more easily passed between rabbits than myxi. (PS just to be clear I am not suggesting that Starlights buns have EC - just giving another scenario!!).

^^^^^^^^ Wot pb said :)

"Please be assured that Autumn does not come into any contact with any other rabbits apart from the other 5 in her group.
All of which are Kris' own rabbits (all kept indoors)"

Sorry, should have been clearer. My post re myxi was not to hijack Kris' thread, but because there appears to be ambiguity over myxi which perhaps we need to debate under a separate thread. Ill post the article separately.

Its great Autumn is doing well and the other bunnies were not affected. Hope they find homes for Xmas.

It's been made clear at the start that Autumn was Kris' OWN rabbit??!!

As far as I know RWF have not carried out a separate scientific study - therefore I suspect strongly their reference to this is based on an article which I have also read and which leaves room for doubt in its findings, as during the study the possibility of mites or other external vectors was not totally eliminated. The rabbits were also forced into the sort of close continuous proximity which even bonded rabbits do not sustain for the hours these were made to. They were also not nodular myxi rabbits so the virus may well be behaving differently.
This is what I meant when I said that sufficient evidence on 'normal' pet rabbits with nodular myxi simply wasn't available.
Until firm evidence from modern studies in situations comparable to normal rabbit keeping are available, as I say we all base our decision whether to adopt or not from a rescue with a myxi case on our own beliefs and understandings.
I do not criticise those who do not wish to adopt from Kris, nor those that do - Kris has done her best by making her situation clear so now its over to each individual to make their own decisions. We should thank Kris for being honest and still trying to do the best for her rescue rabbits.

Back