• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pickles has Pneumonia - another update post 23!

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
Poor Pickles is really ill, she developed a snotty nose and a rattly chest a couple of weeks ago. I took her to the vets and she was given Baytril for a week, she went back last Friday and her temperature had gone up so we carried on with the Baytril.

Over the weekend she stopped eating her pellets and became very withdrawn, so we went back to the vets and she was given tribrissen and metacam by injection which we also gave her Tuesday and Wednesday.

She has been eating lots of veg smeared with critical care and bits of food.

This morning she had eaten all of her dried food but is still struggling with her breathing.

I took her to a different vets (because I had heard that this was was more "rabbit savvy") and she has had a chest X Ray - one lung is not showing anything, which the vet said may be a tuma, and the other is not too good :cry: I am going to collect her at 2pm and the vet is going to show me the X Ray and discuss the medication that she needs. She thinks that Pickles has Pneumonia.

I can't believe this is happening - we had Pickles on 7th November last year from Fat Fluffs and she is one of the most adorable buns in the world.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so sorry. Poor little Pickles. I've never experienced this before so I'm sorry I can't offer words of advice, but I really do wish her better.

Did the vet explain the options or say how common and easy to treat the problem is? If they know what they're dealing with then she can be nursed better?

I hope your vet can give you - and Pickles - all the help she needs.

Big vibes for your little one. Its' a good sign that she is eating. Hopefully she'll start on the hay as that will help keep her tummy from going downhill.

I've had one bunny who suffered from pneumonia unfortunately he only lasted 2 days after being diagnosed, so I'm sorry but I can not give any words of advice, but for what you've already been told by your vet.

Lots Vibes for Pickles! :(

I'm really sorry to hear about your bun having Pneumonia :cry: I would strongly recommend a much stronger antibiotic than Baytril. Something like LA engemycin (a tetracycline) by injection or depocillin (penicillin) by injection would be much more appropriate for the infection. Some Oxygen therapy, nebuliser and bisolvon may also be very helpful.

Sending tons of vibes for your poorly bun and hoping she can pull through this. x

ETA i've just realised the Tribrissen is a stronger abx apologies.

i'm so sorry hun, i know what it's like seeing them struggle. i really hope she picks up for you, will be thinking of you's both. :(

Thank you so much everyone for your kind wishes. We went to see the vet and saw the X Ray (which was taken looking down) - the left side is completely cloudy on the X Ray and it should be dark, the other is cloudy at the top and dark lower down. :cry: The vet cannot risk doing a side X Ray as she will not risk sedating her.

Apparently she ate a big bowl of pellets after the X Ray and produced some lovely healthy poos while she was there though. :thumb: that's my girl!

She also had blood tests done and the good news is that they came back fine for her liver and kidneys but she is slightly anaemic :?. The vet also thought that she is underweight - she weighed 4.6kg today and the vet thought that she should be more like 5

She had biolapis sprinkled on her veg tonight, which she ate tonnes of, then she tucked in to some lovely hay. She then had a cocktail of medication orally - metacam, baytril and septrin followed by about 6 fenugreek crunchies which she grabbed out of my hand as though she had never been fed!

We are going back to the vets in the morning for a checkup.

Thank you so much everyone for your kind wishes. We went to see the vet and saw the X Ray (which was taken looking down) - the left side is completely cloudy on the X Ray and it should be dark, the other is cloudy at the top and dark lower down. :cry: The vet cannot risk doing a side X Ray as she will not risk sedating her.

Apparently she ate a big bowl of pellets after the X Ray and produced some lovely healthy poos while she was there though. :thumb: that's my girl!

She also had blood tests done and the good news is that they came back fine for her liver and kidneys but she is slightly anaemic :?. The vet also thought that she is underweight - she weighed 4.6kg today and the vet thought that she should be more like 5

She had biolapis sprinkled on her veg tonight, which she ate tonnes of, then she tucked in to some lovely hay. She then had a cocktail of medication orally - metacam, baytril and septrin followed by about 6 fenugreek crunchies which she grabbed out of my hand as though she had never been fed!

We are going back to the vets in the morning for a checkup.

Bless her, at least she is enjoying her food so within herself she doesn't feel too poorly :)

Get well soon pickles
xx

When my first bun (Earl) had pneumonia he was on septrin and biosolvin (he had such a snotty nose we had to keep wiping it for him:cry:). I also found that eucalyptus in a "watersphere" - sorry I can;t remember exactly what they are called.... (Don;t know whether you've heard of them but there is water in the bottom and you add essential oils to the water, plug it in and it swishes the water around to emit the smell of the essential oils in the room - bit like an ionser) was helpful with his breathing. Sending healing vibes

xxx

Just wanted to let you all know that Pickles is fighting all the way! She is such a trooper! She is now eating everything in sight - veg (even with Bio Lapis all over it!), pellets, hay...

Her breathing is still very laboured though, but it just doesn't seem to get her down, bless her heart :love:

She is taking it easy and not venturing into the garden much, which is probably sensible given the weather at the moment, but she is using her shed and run.

However she is becoming a nightmare to have her 5 syringes of various medications each day (3 in the morning, 2 in the evening), even the nice flavoured ones she is really putting up a fight, and she is on such high doses being a big bun that it is a nightmare - my back is killing me :roll::lol:

I guess that is a good sign though as she must be feeling better. We are back off to the vets on Monday unless there is any change.

Back