• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Deaf Rabbit?

Wizzy Lizzy

Warren Scout
Are there any simple tests you can do to find out if a rabbit is deaf or has a hearing problem?!

I call out to him when I approach his cage or run and even though I know he doesn't know his name he should hear me! If he hasn't seen me coming though he jumps a mile!

He didn't even flinch at the fireworks last night (although I understand that every bunny is different and he may react differently tonight given that tonight is actually fireworks night!).

This may be normal rabbit behaviour but I am just wondering if he may be a bit deaf!

He is booked in to the vet on Monday to be neutered (I am going to get him a friend in a few weeks!) so I could ask them to check out his ears (and he needs his teeth looking at) then?

Mmmm, I used to think my BB was deaf- now I know it's selective hearing cos she hears the rattle of food a mile away, but is completely unfazed by fireworks.

Is your bun a lop as their ear design tends to make them a bit harder of hearing.

Are her eyes an unusual colour ie red or blue, as I've noticed my BEW jumps when I come into view even though he has heard me, so that could be eyesight rather than a hearing problem.

Starbuck is deaf. His foster mummy suspected it and the vet confirmed it.

He gets startled if he hasnt seen us and if he snoozes then open his eyes when we are in the room he gets very startled. He doesnt notice his food bowl until you put it under his nose. He doesnt have red or blue eyes.

Fay is also a lop and I think, compared to our Dutches outside, she is a bit harder of hearing. But she definitely hears her food bowl and the rustling of any packets which might contain food!!! :lol::lol:

Yes he is a lop - here is a pic or two or three!

P1000584.jpg

P1000589.jpg

P1000587.jpg

He can be a cheeky chap (I think he now feels settled and at home which is nice!) so I wouldn't put selective hearing past him!

I have a lop who is totally deaf. I clapped my hands right behind his head and he didn't budge and if you go into a room because he can't hear you, when he notices you he is startled, otherwise he is a happy bunny. :)

Hi, I can't see your pics (stupid work computer!) but I have a red-eyed white mini lop, who has definite selective hearing. Sometimes he gets a wee fright when I go into the "rodent room" (my bunny and chinchilla-proofed spare bedroom), as he's a wee bit short-sighted as well, but as someone else said earlier he can hear his food bowl being filled from a fair distance!

I think lops are always a wee bit slower (don't mean to be mean!) - they seem to hear and see things just a second later than you'd expect, so your bun is probably displaying pretty normal behaviour. Might be worth a check though if you're going to the vets anyway? :D

Back