• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration Recovery

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
My Walter is booked in tomorrow for a castration. We have only had him a week and want it over and done with asap. Nibbler died after being spayed so we are worried sick about it.

Thing is what sort of aftercare do they need, we are supposed to be going to a party tomorrow night meaning we would have to leave him from about 8.30 onwards till late. Although we are only accross the road so would be able to bob back.

I feel like id be a bad bunny mummy leaving him after his op. What are your thoughts, ill have to move his appointment to next week if you guys think its a bad idea to leave him so soon.

Donz x

I think as long as you pop back and check on him a couple of times, he would be fine. He will probably be very sleepy, so will no doubt be glad of the peace if anything.

Is he an outdoor bun? After the op, he will have trouble regulating his body temp, so will need to be kept indoors for at least 24 hrs but in an unheated room as otherwise he might find it too warm. Try to tempt him lots of tasty treats to encourage him to eat (herbs, grated carrot, veggies). He may not eat much that night but, if he hasn't eaten at all by next morning, then contact your vet as he may need extra pain relief.

It's best not to bed him on hay for a few days as it may irritate the wound, but provide some hay in a rack, so he can nibble if he wants to.

My boys were done 2 weeks ago. I kept them inside when they came home, but they were otherwise fine. Eating normally etc...you wouldn't even know they had had anything done!!!

Thanks fo your replys, he is a house bun so no probs there. Going to keep with him going in tomorrow, want it over and done with as soon as poss. Me n the boyf will just have to keep bobbing over every so often to keep eye on him

Donz

Back