• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A little worried about Jack

Morning everyone.
I came home last night from work and heard Jack making a weezing sound and seemed like he had a runny nose. I carefully wiped his nose and then off he hopped. I was watching him all night, he ate his dinner, had a run around, seemed fine - no sign of anything abnormal. Now this morning (still no more weezing) but he has a weeping right eye - just a little wet patch in the front corner of his eye. Though again, has eaten his breakfast and been drinking. I have booked a vets appointment for tomorrow morning. Just wondering if could be anything really serious? I have searched the forum and read about snuffles, but i'm unclear of the symptoms.
Thank you.

He may have the start of a Respiratory Tract Infection. Symptoms of which can include runny eyes/nose, wheeziness, sneezing etc...etc

Personally I would want him seen by a Vet today as if it is an RTI then the sooner he starts treatment the better the prognosis.

OK, thank you, i will see if i can finish work early and get one this evening. I read about wiping the eye with water/cotton wool, shall i do this or leave it be?

Yes it's fine to gently bathe his eye with a little warm water or saline, and then dab the fur dry afterwards with a little cotton wool. Try not to let his fur get too wet. Good luck at the vets today - I agree it would be a good idea to get him checked over asap. It has got suddenly colder this week so I would check your house for any strong draughts because don't forget our house buns are down at floor level!

Back