• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden small, dark poos-U/D happy ending!

LloydFerris

Warren Scout
I have read the threads about other buns who have had small, dark poos and none of it would make sense for Saffy.
She has been eating and drinking normally with no change in diet. Lots of water, lots of hay, a small amount of pellets in the morning and 2 handfuls of green leafy veg a day (between her and Lloyd).
Could she be ill? :(

Scroll down for my update!:p

Last edited:
Small dark poo indicates reduced gut motility.
Is she getting enough exercise ?
Has she had her teeth checked recently ?

Her teeth have been checked recently and she is a free-running house bun so she gets a good amount of exercise. Her mood seems totally normal, too...it's just those poos that scare me.
How would a vet check to see if it is a GI problem? Or would they just treat her for stasis because of the poos?
Thanks for you help!

i know matt seemed totally normal in his eating habits and behaviour once and he was given a good dose of metaclopramide to get his gut moving. also at this time he was just having hay and herbs, no gassy veg or pellets. just to get the gut moving and loads of hay to push everything through.

then when his poops were back to normal he came off this routine 24 hours later and was ok.

some rabbits have different poops at different times of the day though, say darker first thing in the morning.

i would ask your rabbit vets for advice though. :)

I am taking her to the vet, even though the only symptoms are her small, dark and lesser amount of poos.
This isn't normal for her at all-she is a regular poo-machine and I have to clean out the bunny area every 8 hours because of her love of pooing all around it. I haven't needed to clean it for 16 hours now. There is poo, but the amount is minimal.
I will keep you all updated. Fingers crossed!

hopefully the vet can put your mind at rest and she is ok.

good luck and let us know how it goes :wave: x

I should have responded earlier but after the vet trip I was knackered! I stayed up all night with Saffy, just watching her. (I'm in Canada so it's 5pm here now) I called EVERY emerg clinic in the city and no one had a rabbit vet on!!! I had to wait until 8am.
They said I could bring her in right away.
Of course I took Lloyd for 'moral support' and had a check up and nail trim done for him to avoid another trip in the near future. Lloyd is marvelously healthy, and Saffy has a wonky tooth. It was growing towards her cheek! (one of the back teeth) Obviously it was causing her discomfort, so the vet trimmed that right off and gave her some fluids to help get the GIT moving.
Because Saff is eating and drinking well I brought her home and am carefully monitering her poos and whatnot. She IS pooing! They are bigger than yesterday, but still quite dark. Yay! She just jumped in the litterbox!
Looks like a happy ending here, folks!:p

PS-Just before we went to the vet's, Saffy did a HUGE binky! It was the very first one I have ever seen her do! It's like she knew I was gonna help her get well. hehehe.
Oh, and I won't be taking her back to her usual vet anymore, either. He SUPPOSEDLY checked her teeth when I took her in for a check-up recently. I'm sure now he only checked her incisors!

Last edited:
Back