• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fireworks-two very unhappy bunnies

Leanne1984

New Kit
Hmmm,
well I think it's fair to say that i'm not Miss popular at the moment. Last night the fireworks started on our street and surrounding area and my two rabbits were not happy: running around hiding and they have weed everywhere in their hutch (they're are litter trained). So I took the decision to bring them inside for tonight and tomorrow night, the problem is outside they live in a huge double hutch with a huge two tiered enclosure. Ha ha so they are really not apreciating being stuck in a cage in the hall. Infact they are thumping right now. Not sure what the lesser of two evils is, put them back in there home outside or keep them in the cage.

:wave: Can't you put them outside with a light of some sort and a radio and just keep checking and reassuring them?

they just seemed so distressed last night and I figured it's only gonna get worse. Problem is they're so spoilt and probably have loads more than most rabbits get, so it's a huge difference being stuck in a cage to being outside. Might see if they settle, they'll be back out first thing in the morning and they've been for a run round the garden for an hour this afternoon. If they don't settle then i'll put them back out. AArgh it's hard to know what's best, I woke up this morning and usually they are waiting at the gate of their enclosure for me but they weren't, I had this horrible thought for a second they they had gone upstairs in their hutch and had a heart attack, needless to say as soon as I called their names they were thundering down the stairs.

:wave: I thought it was quite dogdy bringing them in (if you have heating on) as they will have winter coats? I am sure more experience people will advise on that but, I am sure if you can put a light and radio on and just keep checking them talking to them they will be OK they have each other aswell. Some extra treats aswell to distract them?

that's what I thought (about their winter coats) so I checked the RSPCA website and it said consider bringing them in, so I rang my vet and they said bringing them in is advised as long as they are in a room without heating on and they go back out in the daytime. Cloud is throwing a huge temper tantrum (which he know usually gets him what he wants) Tifa as usual is just chilled and laid down despite being nudged by Cloud in order to get her to do something about the situation. Think they're off back out.

:wave: At least the fireworks should all be over with by 11ish so you can bed them down for the night knowing they are alright, hope they were OK. Not sure if the advice I gave was valid but, I kind of thought it might reassure them in some way?:)

had to bring mine in there terrified, there in bed with me till it dies down, its the next door neighbours that is bothing them, normally there ok

I think it is fine to bring them in for a night or two, the stress of fireworks has caused bunnies to die of fright :( so I think you have done the right thing, I would try and keep them in a cool part of the house (not near a radiator) and put them back out as soon as safe, maybe with extra bedding :)

I have told my mum to bring a bun she's looking after in over the weekend

well i have no heating in the house so buns are fine lol i have extra duvet and blanket for me, think they have stopped this end i give it 10 mins then put them back

i brsught ruby in and put her an indoor pen. she was not at all happy and ripped my carpet! she wasback outside just after midnight when the fireworks stopped

Back