• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Californian Rabbits??

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
I was just looking through preloved and came accross an ad for californian baby buns. Is that a breed or someones fantasy?

OMG :censored: Keeping them for the table. :censored: :censored:

The ad was just for pets. I hope thats where they go.

ETA just looked at that link again, how on earth can they be so matter of fact about it? Its as bad as giving out recipes for cooking cat.

Last edited:
Californians have been pictured in my (pet) bunnybooks for at least 10 years now (possibly 15) they look a bit like himalayan's to me, but I've no idea of the size of the breed.

Wasn't aware they were bred as meat too... :?

I don't see why not, people eat rabbit meat and it is used in all sorts of cat/dog food. I guess it is no different to people rearing pigs or lambs for humann consumption :?

Agreed. While it might be horrific to us, it's as natural as rearing/eating any other meat for some people.

Yes, Californians are like big chubby himalayans :lol:
In most places they are bred for meat, but a lot of people in the UK keep them for shows (Rabbit breed shows, not meat) and as pets. Cashminical used to have them i think :)

:( Poor darlings. As stupid as it sounds but I hate how humans are so superior over animals, I feel sickened that I was born into this sort of world :cry:.

It feels wrong though, as buns are now the third most popular pet.
There'd be uproar if they sold cats or dogs for meat, with recipie ideas :(

It feels wrong though, as buns are now the third most popular pet.
There'd be uproar if they sold cats or dogs for meat, with recipie ideas :(

To be honest, I don't have much connection with any animal except rabbits. People are going to hate me for this, but I wouldn't be hugely bothered if dog or cat was on the menu, in the same way some people that have never had a rabbit will not care much either. Chicken is a very popular meat, but chickens are quite popular pets too.

I know what your sayin hun, but chickens seem to be used for eggs more than just pets.
I just could never imagine eating a bunster :(

At the end of the day a life is a life regardless of how popular it may be, which is why I am veggie.

But I understand where you are coming from, as when I did eat meat I wouldn't eat anything that I was happy to pet and hand feed especially ducks. I love feeding the ducks :)

dutchies were originally a meat rabbit i assume most were really but it seems just the bigger breeds being bred for meat now

Back