• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles!

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hi there,

Could I get your opinions on the bunny snuffles please....is Baytril really the best treatment for snuffles? My five and a half year old bunny Marcy developed snuffles back in June and was confirmed as having pasteurella on a swab. She got a course of Baytril though she is snottery and sneezy again now.

She has picked up quickly on Baytril and anti-inflamms again and is eating again though I am just wondering whether the Baytril is the best treatment overall to be giving her, given that the snuffles have come back? Also, how long do people give a course of Baytril for? Are there other antibiotics to give?

We are seeing the vet again this afternoon but I'd really appreciate your opinions!

Fiona

Baytril is a good broad spectrum abx and is effective against various strains of Pasteurella.
It would appear that Marcy responds well to treatment and so I wonder if the course needs to be continued for longer. The Bristol Rabbit Clinic apparently recommend a course of about 6 weeks duration.

'Snuffles' is often a recurring problem as its frequently not possible to eliminate all the bacteria, just enough to enable the Bun to be asymptomatic. Flare-ups can occur at times of stress such as another concurrent illness, a change of environment, extreme temperature changes etc.

There are other abx that can be given, such as a Tetracycline or Depocillin (by injection only) But as Baytril is the only licenced abx a Vet has to try this first unless there is very good clinical evidence to support immediate 'off licence' prescribing.

If Marcy is very congested then a mucolytic such as Bisolvon may help thin out the mucus, Nebulising her may help too.

Ghostie caught some Snuffles.
Took her to see Damian and she got an injection of metacam, baytril and 2 week course (I *think* it was 2 weeks)
Thankfully it cleared up really nicely but Damian said (when I first took her) if it doesn't clear up he'd give her something to break up the mucus. Think it was an anti-inflammatory as well.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. We went to the vet and will just continue with the Baytril and Meloxydyl/Metacam just now. Sometimes her nose is bubbling and running so badly and she sounds so wet and crackly. Other times it completely goes and she is great. She still has an appetite when the worst bit is over.

I have defiinitely noticed that she becomes snottier when the cold weather comes and especially in the wet.

Many thanks for all of the advice,

Fiona x

Just to add to what Jane has said, if the Baytril on a longer course does not clear up the infection so well, then I would certainly recommend tetracyclines in the form of a long-acting engemcyin injection course. There have been a couple of us on here who have had success with this antibiotic for respiratory problems. I have certainly found it to be very helpful and to cause very little if no gastric upset at all.
Your vet will have to follow the protocol though unless, as Jane says, there is a very good reason to start with a stronger antibiotic first. Most vets will try Baytril first....and then move onto something else if needed. My vets will also choose between tetracyclines (as we used) and depocillin (an injectable penicillin) etc.

Bisolvon is a mucolytic drug and can help loosen and thin the secretions in the respiratory tract and so many vets are willing to try this alongside the antibiotics. Really stubborn cases of snuffles can respond well to nebulised antibiotics, eye/nose antibiotic drops to get the bacteria in those hard to reach connected airways, and some people have found using a little echinacea tincture in bunny's water can help boost the immune system too so try not to worry too much just yet - there is plenty left in the armoury for your vet to try if needed. :)

Thank you! Hopefully we can fix it on Baytril - will wait and see. Had forgotten all about Echinacea - I have used this a lot with them! That's on the shopping list now:love:

Fiona x

Back