• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me find a new cage!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Right...I have a space for a new indoor cage in my living room which is exactly 140cms wide.

A dog crate is no good because Vernon isn't litter trained, so needs to be one with a deep plastic base. It doesn't have to take up the full 140cms, but I'd like it to be as big as possible.

I will attach a puppy pen to the front, but would also like the option of leaving him shut in the cage sometimes without worrying about it being too small.

The Ferplast 140 looks good, but seems very expensive, and I'm worried that it won't fit if it's even slightly over 140cms.

What breed is Vernon?
We have a Nero 400 here (length is 118cm)that we use for the smaller indoor boarders and it has been fine to use for the likes of a single medium sized llop or pair of small nethies, mini lop, single dutch, if it is just used mainly as a sleeping base and somewhere for them to hop in and out of to poop etc. You could put a pen all the way around it too, so you'd have some space at the side for him to explore as well :).

It's one like this but we take the yellow platform out to give more space.....
img_1500310_3T.jpg

Right...I have a space for a new indoor cage in my living room which is exactly 140cms wide.

A dog crate is no good because Vernon isn't litter trained, so needs to be one with a deep plastic base. It doesn't have to take up the full 140cms, but I'd like it to be as big as possible.

I will attach a puppy pen to the front, but would also like the option of leaving him shut in the cage sometimes without worrying about it being too small.

The Ferplast 140 looks good, but seems very expensive, and I'm worried that it won't fit if it's even slightly over 140cms.

We have a few Ferplast 140, I think they are great. When I get a minute I will measure the longest bit of the base and see how big it is :wave:

We have a few Ferplast 140, I think they are great. When I get a minute I will measure the longest bit of the base and see how big it is :wave:

Cool, Thanks Liz. :D

I have a feeling the clips at the side might make it too wide for the space available, but would be great to get definite measurements

What breed is Vernon?
We have a Nero 400 here (length is 118cm)that we use for the smaller indoor boarders and it has been fine to use for the likes of a single medium sized llop or pair of small nethies, mini lop, single dutch, if it is just used mainly as a sleeping base and somewhere for them to hop in and out of to poop etc. You could put a pen all the way around it too, so you'd have some space at the side for him to explore as well :).

Vernon is a medium sized up-eared bun...about the size of an average Dutch, but with bigger ears

I really like the look of the Nero 4, and it's definitely another possible choice

Cool, Thanks Liz. :D

I have a feeling the clips at the side might make it too wide for the space available, but would be great to get definite measurements

There are no clips on the side, they are at the front and back. I make it 139cm at its widest bit :wave:

We got ours from zooplus over a year ago, but think they have gone up in price a lot since then. Last time I looked pets at home seemed the best place but have no idea about current offers :?

I got a great indoor cage from Kennelgate. I paid about £50 - it's quite big but I can't remember how big - sorry.

Just wondering how your new little boy is doing .

I have a dog crate and have put strips of cardboard about 6 inches high all around the edges (you can slip it between the tray and the bars) because the tray was so shallow and I didn't want stuff being kicked out over it.

Perhaps you could do something similar but with a waterproof material like the stuff that estate agent signs are made of (I'm sure if you liberated a sign from a skip it would probably be enough to go round the edges ;) ).

I much prefer dog crates over cages as they're much higher, which gives the buns plenty of room to stand up in. Mine are only netherland dwarfs (one with particularly stumpy ears) but when periscoping they can still reach almost 3/4 of the way up into the largest size of dog crate! They wouldn't be able to do that in a cage.

Isnt the height of the ferplast a little shallow and wouldn't dog crate be best with then doing something to the bottom.

I love these cages, but want to add, that I only use them for specific bunnies such as those with splay legs and elderly buns with wonky back legs who are unable to periscope, we have plenty of those :) And also for very tiny buns who's heads would get stuck between the bars of dog crates :wave:

I have a 48 inch dog crate, but Vernon just pees over the edge of the tray. I don't really want to mess around making removable inserts to go around the tray because it'll make cleaning out more difficult...and I already have 12 assorted hutches/aviaries/rabbit rooms to clean out...so need something quick and easy to clean :)

Also Vernon is free-range every evening when we get home from work and has the run of the living room.

I put it on the outside and if they pulled it through and chewed it, at least it gave them something to do :lol:

Just wondering how your new little boy is doing .

Hi Suzanne

He's doing fine...thanks for asking :wave:

He went in for neutering last Thursday, and was a bit woozy afterwards, but seems back to normal now. I'll hopefully introduce him to Freddy the wildie in a months or so :)

Back