• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunny owners! HELP

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
Im trying to persuade my mum to let me have Flopsy and Peter as indoor bunnies, they love being inside! :love:
I really need your help as its not going to be easy to persuade them....

Im going to show my mom this thread on my dinner so please explain to her -

Why it is a good idea to have them inside?
Do the bunnies smell?
Are they noisy at a night time?
They are litter trainied so there shouldnt be no mess in my room should there?

Also any pics of bunnies in there cages/set up's so i can show her!!!!

Would really appreicate it guys!

Thank you. :wave:

I have Herbie & Inca indoors. They have their own room :)

They are both litter trained and dont smell at all. I just use wood pellet litter and hay, then i clean and empty the trays every night.

I dont use any bedding for them, they just have off cuts of carpert and fleece blankets, so the only mess is at the litter tray area where the hay is, but thats easily cleaned up.

Herbie has no teeth, so cant chew the furniture, but Inca has teeth however she isnt intrested in chewing things, unless its hay!!!!!

I love having them indoors, means that i can spend more time with them while im in the house and it also means i dont have to go outside into the cold to clean them out, and i also dont worry about anything happening to them outside.

I have Herbie & Inca indoors. They have their own room :)

They are both litter trained and dont smell at all. I just use wood pellet litter and hay, then i clean and empty the trays every night.

I dont use any bedding for them, they just have off cuts of carpert and fleece blankets, so the only mess is at the litter tray area where the hay is, but thats easily cleaned up.

Herbie has no teeth, so cant chew the furniture, but Inca has teeth however she isnt intrested in chewing things, unless its hay!!!!!

I love having them indoors, means that i can spend more time with them while im in the house and it also means i dont have to go outside into the cold to clean them out, and i also dont worry about anything happening to them outside.

thank you :wave:

Im trying to persuade my mum to let me have Flopsy and Peter as indoor bunnies, they love being inside! :love:

Do the bunnies smell?

House bunnies can really come out of their shells if they enjoy being inside. They thrive on the attention, even if it isn't directed towards them. Just having someone in the room is relaxing for them. Seeing them flop infront of the fire or on the sofa is lovely to see. Them following you for breakfast and sitting on your feet as you eat is so nice. You can tell how happy they are, and can notice when they are sick quicker than you might notice an outdoor bunny. Being indoors doesn't mean they can't go outside. On fine days in the Autumn/Winter months and every day in Spring/Summer. They will soon realise when they are going to go out, and will queue up to go out.

Litter trained bunnies Don't really smell if they are cleaned out everyday. I'd advise using Carefresh in their litter trays as it takes in all the odours. Saying this, there still might be some mess. I'd advise the litter trays to be put in the base of an indoor cage so any hay/carefresh doesn't get onto the carpet. I'm afraid that some hay will always find it's way out, but regular hoovering keeps it at bay.

At night they could be noisy, they could be not. Teddy goes to sleep all night and knows when morning is...but he is a Frenchie. I've found that the smaller breeds like to nom the bars of their overnight cage and will hop about like mad buns until you let them out. Whether it be in the middle of the night or in the morning. It depends on the bun really.

You will have to bunny proof all the house, or at least the rooms the bunnies are allowed in. Wires have to be covered, wicker has to be moved. Some buns eat carpet, some furniture. You'll need to keep the dog away from them other than when supervised. (By supervised I mean you being on the floor with the buns and dog.)

I would still advise that if they enjoy being inside they should be! House bunnies are amazing, and if you are happy with a dog in the house then a bun is no different! They thrive being inside!!

*Sorry if it wasn't all positive, but thought you'd want the truth!*

House bunnies can really come out of their shells if they enjoy being inside. They thrive on the attention, even if it isn't directed towards them. Just having someone in the room is relaxing for them. Seeing them flop infront of the fire or on the sofa is lovely to see. Them following you for breakfast and sitting on your feet as you eat is so nice. You can tell how happy they are, and can notice when they are sick quicker than you might notice an outdoor bunny. Being indoors doesn't mean they can't go outside. On fine days in the Autumn/Winter months and every day in Spring/Summer. They will soon realise when they are going to go out, and will queue up to go out.

Litter trained bunnies Don't really smell if they are cleaned out everyday. I'd advise using Carefresh in their litter trays as it takes in all the odours. Saying this, there still might be some mess. I'd advise the litter trays to be put in the base of an indoor cage so any hay/carefresh doesn't get onto the carpet. I'm afraid that some hay will always find it's way out, but regular hoovering keeps it at bay.

At night they could be noisy, they could be not. Teddy goes to sleep all night and knows when morning is...but he is a Frenchie. I've found that the smaller breeds like to nom the bars of their overnight cage and will hop about like mad buns until you let them out. Whether it be in the middle of the night or in the morning. It depends on the bun really.

You will have to bunny proof all the house, or at least the rooms the bunnies are allowed in. Wires have to be covered, wicker has to be moved. Some buns eat carpet, some furniture. You'll need to keep the dog away from them other than when supervised. (By supervised I mean you being on the floor with the buns and dog.)

I would still advise that if they enjoy being inside they should be! House bunnies are amazing, and if you are happy with a dog in the house then a bun is no different! They thrive being inside!!

Thats brilliant!!!! :D thanks

Do you have Teddy in a crate or anything at night? If so do you have a pic?

Thats brilliant!!!! :D thanks

Do you have Teddy in a crate or anything at night? If so do you have a pic?

He has an indoor cage for at night. I had him out one night in his room and he jumped up onto the Utility counter (knocking everything off) and tried to get into my room!:shock::shock: (Didn't get much sleep). I tried him in my room and he jumped on me in the middle of the night, terrifying me!!

He knows that it's bed time when I get ready for bed, and will hop into his cage and settle down for bed. Then he gets up when I do. He relaxes and goes to sleep. The cage is also a really good base for food, water and litter tray. It helps keep the hay in too. He's not a bar chewer, but Hugo was!!:shock::roll:

Smaller bunnies could have a cage/crate and a playpen attached....but Ted can jump out...and will!

I don't have a picture, but can get one when I get my camera back.

He has an indoor cage for at night. I had him out one night in his room and he jumped up onto the Utility counter (knocking everything off) and tried to get into my room!:shock::shock: (Didn't get much sleep). I tried him in my room and he jumped on me in the middle of the night, terrifying me!!

He knows that it's bed time when I get ready for bed, and will hop into his cage and settle down for bed. Then he gets up when I do. He relaxes and goes to sleep. The cage is also a really good base for food, water and litter tray. It helps keep the hay in too. He's not a bar chewer, but Hugo was!!:shock::roll:

Smaller bunnies could have a cage/crate and a playpen attached....but Ted can jump out...and will!

I don't have a picture, but can get one when I get my camera back.

I had my bunnies in last night and they will be inside every night now until Monday because of bonfire night... they where so well behaved just curled up together in Lexi's crate :roll: and went to sleep, didnt hear anything from them all night :love:

I had my bunnies in last night and they will be inside every night now until Monday because of bonfire night... they where so well behaved just curled up together in Lexi's crate :roll: and went to sleep, didnt hear anything from them all night :love:

Then I'd think they'll be fine overnight and won't be little monsters!!:D:D

Then I'd think they'll be fine overnight and won't be little monsters!!:D:D

They never are naughty, they are so well behaved! :love: all the time :love:
Other than when they are in my room, they sort of let their hair down a bit then :lol:
Peter in my bedroom = Wee patches all over my pillow and bed
Flopsy in my bedroom = A huge chase trying to catch her, hiding under the bed, which results in the whole family trying to lift the bed up which i grab her and get her out :roll:

Do the bunnies smell?

Why it is a good idea to have them inside? I have them inside for the company and I wanted house bunnies.
Do the bunnies smell? Not at all - mine are so clean - its only the hay that smells if you dont change it and its not vile stinky - just a wee smell but thats only if you dont change it.
Are they noisy at a night time? Not at all - as soon as I put their blanket over their cage they are quite and settle down.
They are litter trainied so there shouldnt be no mess in my room should there? You minght get the odd sly little poo now and then - but mine jump into the hay/litter tray to do their business. They never do it anywhere apart from theire and the garden.

Bob's a house bunny and he's part of the family. He doesn't smell one bit and neither does his cage. :)

He's alseep during the night and isn't noisy (although does have a thump now and then when he's had a bad dream or thinks he's seen something) and he only wakes me up sometimes by chugging away at his water or with mad binkies around the flat.

To PrincessPinky's Mum - I cannot recommend having a house bun highly enough!! :)

My two live indoors and I love it! They're so well behanved. The only mess is in their litter trays which I clean daily/every other day. They don't smell and sleep pretty much all day. I let them out in the evenings and they just run around the living room or my room (which ever room I let them out in).

This is the boys in the living room

P5111012.jpg

This is George relaxing in my room

George029.jpg

Because they've got our constant company they're so friendly and sometimes jump up on your lap when you're watching TV. George in particular likes to try and copy us and sit on one of the chairs to watch TV too!

Georgeonchair.jpg

I like having them indoors because I can keep a constant eye on them... and they don't cause too much damage inside, apart from maybe chewing the odd table leg or trying to pull a chunk of wall paper off but if you chase them away they soon stop. :lol:

I have just got a lionhead to have as an indoor bunny. She is in a large cage when I am out and then has the run of downstairs when we are in. I have only had her just over a week but so far its going great. Have had a couple of wees to clean up but nothing much its a bit like having a puppy at first. She is happy and loves to come for snuggles. I now feel guilty that I spend more time with her than my 2 outdoor buns.:oops:

Gordon, Pickles and Robbie Indoor Rabbits

I have three indoor bunnies, Gordon,Pickles and Robbie and all are litter trained, and come when called to go back into their indoor palaces at night. They have never smelled and are all loving cute little boys. Wouldn't be the same without em.

Good Luck
Amanda
xxx

Mine are quite messy, but thats probably because my entire living room is strewn with boxes, tunnels and things for them to chew and play with! Mine are free range all the time so the hay does tend to get distributed around the place...the best hoover is a Henry or Hetty!! I also have a small handheld vac for a quick whizz round!

Daisy is more relaxed inside than Dudley, he runs and hides for ages as soon as any cooking smells are in the air!

They have eaten a hole in the top of my sofa, munched a big hole in the carpet, eaten various electrical wires and done some wall paper removals but nothing major! All the above could have been prevented if I chose to lock them in their cage when Im not there (they have a 3 level NIC setup), but I dont like to. I never knew what little personalities bunnies have until I had indoor bunnies, I love them to bits and when they happy flop and do binkies, both of which they do a lot, it is wonderful :D

I have five houserabbits, they don't smell, don't eat wires and are so well behaved. They just flop out for the majority of the day! :wave:

They are all litter trained, expect for the small stray poo!:oops:

and on a night they make hardly any noise..but if Brian has a jingly ball, that's a different story! :lol:

SDC10772.jpg

This is what they're usually like, they have the obviously binky fit every now and again! But no hassle at all! :wave:

I have 7 living in our house and 7 living in our integral garage.

Grace in her favourite place.

25-12-083.jpg

Rosie and Murphy in the spare bedroom.

19-5-09004.jpg

Pud in the kitchen.

27-1-092.jpg

I have Rupert and Mallow indoors. I love having them inside as they are in the living room and i can see them all the time. Mallow is really lazy and loves to be cosy and warm and just sleep :lol: Unfortunately Mallow tends to wee on the vetbed etc but as long as something is down the floor is saved and its easy popped in the washing machine. Rupert is perfectly clean and only does the toilet in the tray. I love lying down beside them and watching them binky all over the living room. Here's our setup
DSC07222.jpg

DSC07226.jpg

:wave: I have 2 house bunnies, they do not smell or make a mess - like the others said - the odd poo that gets kicked out of the tray in mad moments but apart from that they are very clean!

I keep thinking about putting them outside but i just cant - I would miss them so much and it is so much easier to clean and feed them. Mine live in the living room in this..

doublerun-2.jpg

They love the home comforts and love laying on my rugs and chairs (they are just like having a cat or a dog) but much easier as you dont have to take them for walks etc :lol:

sootyinfrontoffire2-1.jpg

Strawberry!!!!!

Back