• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

5am

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Had the worst morning! It feels as though im always moaning about Strawberry but at 5am this morning he was about to be listed on RR!!!!

They free range in our room overnight and have a NIC set up in the spare room for during the day. This morning at 5am he decided it was breakfast time so started chasing Snowdrop round our bedroom. We have wooden floors so you can imagin the noise as they both race and skid everywhere.

I took them to the spare room and put them in the NIC set up and got back into bed. 5 minutes later they are rattling the bars. I go in to try and resettle them with some fresh hay (I didnt want to give them their pellets this early or he would have won!).

I get back into bed when another 10 mins later there is an almighty crash. Go to see what they have done and they have broken the NIC setup into pieces and are running about in the spare room.

I open all the doors to let them free range like they do in the evenings when im home. A few minutes later I notice the light has gone off on the tele (we leave it on standby). The little git has only got underneath the chest of drawers in the spare room, chewed the electrical cable that goes out through a hole in the wall, 100ft, to our garden for the shed! This shorted the electric so at 5.30am I am looking for a touch to put the electric back on!

My OH has had enough and says if he chews anything else he is going outside. We have no idea how to repair the cable he has chewed as its a rented house!

Norty boy. :no:

How is he managing to break out of the NIC set up? Can you join it together with cable ties? It would mean it's not so easy to disassemble if you need to, but at least he would be confined and out of trouble.

I sympathise completely! I have been woken up about three times every night for the past week with Poppy chasing Sweetpea or Dinky chewing something! :roll: :roll: Worse thing is I live in a flat so am worried it wakes the neighbours up too :oops:

I got some cheap carpet tiles from b&q which has helped. I have also used panels to block off anywhere Dinky wants to chew or dig...

I am so tired it is hard not to get cross with the, I ended up putting Gus and Sweetpea in the cage and having Dinky and Poppy free range last night just to stop the noise :oops:

On a piositive note when I left this morning Dinky was grooming Gus :shock: and all four were snuggled up together :love:

Last edited:
Can you bunnyproof the spare room and but carpet tiles down? If there is nothing to chew and no where to dig it might be quieter?

Had the worst morning! It feels as though im always moaning about Strawberry but at 5am this morning he was about to be listed on RR!!!!

A few minutes later I notice the light has gone off on the tele (we leave it on standby). The little git has only got underneath the chest of drawers in the spare room, chewed the electrical cable that goes out through a hole in the wall, 100ft, to our garden for the shed! This shorted the electric so at 5.30am I am looking for a touch to put the electric back on!

We have no idea how to repair the cable he has chewed as its a rented house!

:no: Naught Strawberry :roll:

There's a couple of options - confess & get your landlord to fix it, or go and get something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/46538/Electrical-Supplies/Cable-Accessories/Connectors-Blocks/Chocbox and sever the cable completely then rejoin using the connector box.

:no: Naught Strawberry :roll:

There's a couple of options - confess & get your landlord to fix it, or go and get something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/46538/Electrical-Supplies/Cable-Accessories/Connectors-Blocks/Chocbox and sever the cable completely then rejoin using the connector box.

We cant confess as we are very naughty and the landlord doesnt know they live in the house! We have to put them out in the run when they come to do an inspection! lol

We thought about bunny proofing the room but Strawberry will chew the door if we close it and he can get to it. I will speak to my OH tonight to see if he can think of anything else we could do. I thought I had blocked off the cable by putting the chest of drawers infront of it but turns out he can turn himself into a snake and slide under!

We thought about bunny proofing the room but Strawberry will chew the door if we close it and he can get to it. I will speak to my OH tonight to see if he can think of anything else we could do. I thought I had blocked off the cable by putting the chest of drawers infront of it but turns out he can turn himself into a snake and slide under!

Oh tell me about it! Dinky can get into spaces I never thought possible...but never during the day, he al;ways waits until middle of the night to do it! I narrowly saved Dave's acoustic guitar from a good chewing when dinky decided he could squeeze through the bars of the panel, jump on a few things and reach the guitar hanging on the wall :shock: :shock:

Oh tell me about it! Dinky can get into spaces I never thought possible...but never during the day, he al;ways waits until middle of the night to do it! I narrowly saved Dave's acoustic guitar from a good chewing when dinky decided he could squeeze through the bars of the panel, jump on a few things and reach the guitar hanging on the wall :shock: :shock:

He sounds a character! Strawberry is fine free ranging in the evenings. Never makes any noise- he saves it all up for overnight!

I have cabled tied the panels so dont think he can get out while im at work! I would like to have them free range in our bedroom as its wooden flooring and fairly bunny proof but he would wee on the bed!

Well I go home from work and the NIC set up was still intact! They seemed pretty calm when I got in and they shared some recovery feed nicely.

Fingers crossed they stay calm and quiet over night!

Just got to cope with Bungle now who has leant to chew our doors!

Couldn't you put NIC cubes around the skirting board and door to stop chewing? Then he should have much more room. And a rug or big carpet sample or something

Couldn't you put NIC cubes around the skirting board and door to stop chewing? Then he should have much more room. And a rug or big carpet sample or something

Tried that and he just knocks them out of the way. He is really strong and can grab them and throw them! If they have a rug or carpet he eats it! And I cant put something behind the door and then close it!

Sounds as though im making excuses I know but we really have tried everything. He is the worlds most destructive bunny.

Last edited:
oo you do have a nawty bunny i have a bun who escaped his NIC set up while his missus was a good girl and stayed where she was ment to be, i had to revert to normal cage again after that no amount of cable ties held doc in, :lol:

biggles and carrie are free range in my room all day and when i go to bed they are shut in their cage, as light comes through the curtain they will rattle the cage hard, now ive learnt you have to ignore it,

the more you get up to feed, fuss, or treat the more they will rattle, i worry to about my neighbours underneath me so i now just lift the cage into the hall strange they never seem to rattle the cage there :? i know my neighbours are away at the mo, biggles will watch me turn in my bed and see me look at him then he rattles, i ignore now and he does it less taken a while though

i would just put them somewhere secure dog crate etc remove noisy toys, check they have enough hay water food etc and leave them to it, they are not daft buns they know a soft touch :lol:

I like them to be free range in our bedroom over night because they are caged all day when im at work. It was working really well untill Strawberry starting attacking me in the early hours. He has stopped now but has started chasing and running about loudly instead! lol

I try to ignore them but I dont want the neighbours waking up as they are both elderly either side and im in a terrace!

biggles will watch me turn in my bed and see me look at him then he rattles, i ignore now and he does it less taken a while though
:shock: Oh my god my Jaki does this to lol!! The minute you move she is up at her cage door wanting to be fed, its almost impossible to ignore her binkying about her cage! I normally get up in a huff, throw her some hay and fall back into bed! This sounds mean but at half 3 in the morning I'm not in the greatest of moods :lol: xx

you have elderly neighbours how old ????and your in a terrace building, do you talk to them test there hearing levels im sure there hearing cant be super sharp, :lol:

mine are free range in my room during the day, i remove all the duvets and pillows and throw the buns counterpain on the top of the bed, they have chewed the wallpaper, ive had a few issues with NIC protecting the skirting board but ive managed to adjust with weighed items i dont mind being chewed, its a good way of keeping your bedroom tidy:lol:, the only thing i have in my bedroom is a lamp so i unplug and pull aside, i can see your OH getting fed up, i would sit together and work something out were they can be out during the day so you 2 can get some sleep at night

i have to say i had a shaky start with territory issue but now they just have a huge plastic dog basket and there cage which i leave open all day and apart from them still reaching up over the 'nic side to nibble the wallpaper they are the cleanest buns i have no wees or poos on the floor at all

you have elderly neighbours how old ????and your in a terrace building, do you talk to them test there hearing levels im sure there hearing cant be super sharp, :lol:

mine are free range in my room during the day, i remove all the duvets and pillows and throw the buns counterpain on the top of the bed, they have chewed the wallpaper, ive had a few issues with NIC protecting the skirting board but ive managed to adjust with weighed items i dont mind being chewed, its a good way of keeping your bedroom tidy:lol:, the only thing i have in my bedroom is a lamp so i unplug and pull aside, i can see your OH getting fed up, i would sit together and work something out were they can be out during the day so you 2 can get some sleep at night

i have to say i had a shaky start with territory issue but now they just have a huge plastic dog basket and there cage which i leave open all day and apart from them still reaching up over the 'nic side to nibble the wallpaper they are the cleanest buns i have no wees or poos on the floor at all

I wish my pair were clean. Snowdrop poos everywhere. She will go and poo next to the litter tray instead of in it!

One side are about 60 ish but the womans mum lives with them who is very poorly. The other side must also be about 55-60 ish. They must be able to hear it as we can hear them coughing in the night!

Back