• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny to skinny?

jessica*rabbit

Warren Scout
are male lop eared rabbit leaner than females? i have been looking at lots of piccies on here of all your buns, and some of the female lops seem fairly plumper than mine? he is a boy, and i sure do feed him enough, but hes fairly lean. (see avatar picture, not a great one)
anyone any ideas? x

Rabbits are supposed to be fairly lean - you should just be able to feel his spine, but not so that it's protruding. :) A lot of females have quite large dewlaps (a big roll of skin under their neck) that makes them look quite plump, so it could be that. ;)

Bubbles has only got quite a small dewlap but it makes her look a little porky from certain angles. :oops: Although she'll probably kill me for saying it. :lol::lol:

In shows the males are usually a lot more chunky than the females, this is why the males do better.

From your pic, I think your bun looks fine. 'Lop' isn't a breed, so you can't really compare. I've never seen a thin French Lop, but have seen some thin dwarf/mini lops. Purebred lops are usually chunky and have fat flat faces :)

Bucks have larger heads than females, and females have baby producing bodies....smaller heads and larger bodies.

It's more pronounced in some breeds and every bun differs.:)

Back