• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoor bunnies. at this time of year what time

amme

Warren Scout
do you cover them up for the night with the warm carpet and tarpaulin etc????
At the moment i let mine out for a run at 4.30 - 5 then its just getting dark and really cold then i tuck him for the night and cover him up.

Is this wrong? Should i leave it til later in the night? Should i let him have a run around the garden in the dark?

Hi!

The buns I have in hutches are covered by tarps at this time of year, mainly because it is so damp.
Once the temp drops down to around 4 degrees I start insulating the hutches to keep them warmer, and if you have a single bun you will need to start doing this now as he won't have another bun to snuggle up to.

If you're letting him in the garden at 4.30 - 5.00 that is absolutely fine so long as you are in the garden with him - foxes are more likely to be about at dusk so there is a definate danger if he's left alone.

Does he also have a run attached to his hutch so he can get exercise when you're not at home?

ive got bubble wrap stapled round the 3 sides of the hutch, ive got thick perpex top cover for the run then at night its tarpulined and ive got bricks all round the edge of mine to reduce anything trying to dig in heavy plant pots etc :lol: i go all out at night

they ahve persepx (with gaps) on the bars - the hutch for now has a tarpaulin but will soon be perspexed and the hutch has a basic cover over it
what can i do for the hutch

do you cover them up for the night with the warm carpet and tarpaulin etc????
At the moment i let mine out for a run at 4.30 - 5 then its just getting dark and really cold then i tuck him for the night and cover him up.

Is this wrong? Should i leave it til later in the night? Should i let him have a run around the garden in the dark?

i put my question down wrong doh!!!!!
i meant to say " he goes into bed for the night at dusk ( about 4.30pm) as it goes cold then and stays in there all night until the morning about 9ish. is dusk too early to put them to bed or should i let him run around the garden at night??"
he dosnt have a run or a bunny to snuggle up to, and i i have carpet and tarpaulin at the mo for covering up the hutch as we only had him on sunday

Hi!

Does he also have a run attached to his hutch so he can get exercise when you're not at home?

he dosnt have a run at the moment no but hubby will be making one where my shed was going to go:censored:at the weekend. The sacrificies we make for our animals. i have been waiting for a shed for years and now cnat have one because the bunny has taken its spot

Instead of gettig an run how about getting that shed you wanted but for your bun, this is mine here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192124

its so good and you won't need to worry about tarps etc!
Rabbits really are social animals and are best kept in pairs or more, its is best to have you rabbit neutured and paired up with another neutured rabbit of the oppisite sex, they will snuggle up and really appreciate a friend of their own kind, theres lots of rabbit rescues on here who will be able to help you find a perfect match!
Hope thats helpful!:D

Ours have a shed which is insulated and the others have an insulated wendyhouse. Both have catflaps which allow access to the run so i dont shut them in until around 10/11 at night just for safety reasons.

I'm giving them the choice still at the moment and they're staying in the run most of the time I think. When it go's below zero I will lock them into the hutch overnight.

I'm currently working to try and make the hutches draft proof.

Hi

At the moment Charlie is out in his run until about 6pm. His run has a basic cover on and he has a little house inside in his run (not that he goes in there, he prefers to sit on top of it!!)
I put him in his hutch and he has extra bedding and a cover. Now its getting colder and damper I will be adding some extra covers over his hutch.

Hugs
Beckie X

im sorry if i mis understand but do you mean to say he is only out of his hutch for 30 mins a day for excersise? if this is the case sadly this is not enough but its great you are getting him a run for during the day, i would say a minimum of around 3 hours for a bun to be out of its hutch unless its in an aivary style or something? i would try letting bun hop in house if temp is not to different if it is then mayb staying outdoors with him or watching from the window at night is possible until the new run is built? x

I have my hutch and run covered in tarp. there is one side facing the garden and the end pannel facing the back door. and thats it. They get 24 hr access, as I don't think they should be locked up.

Back