• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insuring an Immune compromised bun.

Starlight

Warren Veteran
When Autumn gets better, and has the all clear from mxyi, I want to get her insured, as i believe she will be very susceptible to picking up every little infection/illness going.

Would it be worthwhile insuring her and will all the problems she has had during mxyi effect her claim in the future?

I believe, from what I read in the bumpf of my petplan when we had it here, that pre-existing conditions will not be covered. However, I understand that vet discretion in 'how' the clinical symptoms are conveyed to the insurance company are how some people get around it with a nice vet, or so I have heard.

As I understand it, she won't be covered if there is a problem directly related to the myxi, but she should be for new conditions. May be worth giving petplan a ring and asking?

she won't be covered if there is a problem directly related to the myxi,

Yes sorry that was what I meant, but the wording 'directly related' was the bit I 'think' some vets are willing to work around as I suppose there must be certain degrees of relationship to Myxi - i.e flare ups of existing secondary infections or latent infections, or later problems due to scarring etc.
Tricky one isn't it! :?

Yeah pet plan has paid out for dentals for me, but have refused others so I do think a lot is down to how the vet words it :?

We managed to get myxi bills paid for Viola Rose - but obviously she was insured before the myxi happened.

For 'pre existing conditions' and problems relating to those there is no cover - for example Parsley is not insured for anything degenerative or arthritis related on his right hind limb following him breaking it before he was insured.

However our Damson is insured 'as normal' despite having myxi years ago.

Comfrey they will not insure his teeth as he was already identified as a dental bun BUT we are hoping they will cover his bloat and stassis resulting from giving Septrin after the dental op.

I think they are very pesimistic in what they will cover for any bun that has been ill in the past and I'm not sure if it would be worth it for any bun that isn't already healthy.

Back