• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readigrass

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
I have 5 bunnies and three of them (Ghostie, Pickle and Benji) are literally walking barrels at the moment :?
I have increased their feed slightly because it's Winter but they look HUGE!
I was talking to Kris about it and was just wondering whether readigrass is fattening as all 5 of them have a handful at dinner time.
I thought it was just freeze dried grass?

Mine all love readigrass, but i only give a handful about 3/4 times a week between 2 buns as i was told on here it is fattening :? They would eat bucketfuls if they could! xXx

Mine have a decent handful in the evening between 2 buns with their pellets. They love it and are not overweight.

I do, however, feed it more if I am trying to put weight on a bun.

I have noticed that it makes them thirsty.

It's wierd as some of them are fatty lumps and some of them aren't.
They don't eat their pellets all at once and all share them nicely.
They get plenty of food to eat and share so have no worries about food competition as they all congregrate round their dog bowl :love:
Maybe I'll see what Damian thinks. I may be just being paranoid.
Is a handful too much between 5 bunnies?
They have 3 Giant Rabbit Bottles and have it filled up roughly every 3 days (when they're low - they don't drink excessively)
I know it makes them thirsty as they have little-no moisture.

My 2 look huge at the mo but B is growing her gorgeus thick teddy bear winter coat.Cant keep my hands off her!!:lol:

My 2 look huge at the mo but B is growing her gorgeus thick teddy bear winter coat.Cant keep my hands off her!!:lol:

I did think about this.... Toffee is a massive fluffy teddy so can't really see how big he is, but as he's 7 I closely monitor him and he's doing fantastically :D

I've also read it's high in calcium but I can't understand why as grass has the right level of calcium, so I don't know if it's accurate. I would like to know though as Artie loves Readigrass but I have to be really careful with calcium for him.

I don't get why it would be more fattening than hay - just more nutritious, but I haven't seen the scientific breakdowns so I don't know :?

I meant to ask Artie's vet (FHB) about it last week but I forgot, I remembered to ask about Green Oat Hay and that is okay for calcium and phosphorus.

Still think I'll buy another bale as if it does prove to bad for them could always give it to my friend who gives it to her horse.

Maybe I'll see what Damian thinks.

:lol:

What does their normal diet and diet routine consist of, Hetty? I wouldn't have thought that a handful of readigrass between 5 would be too much. I'd have thought it was more likely to be something like yummy carrot. Do they get much veg?

I meant to ask Artie's vet (FHB) about it last week but I forgot, I remembered to ask about Green Oat Hay and that is okay for calcium and phosphorus.

I asked FHB about readigrass compared to hay in relation to helping keep teeth down as both my buns are dental buns and Hermes is not a big fan of hay but scoffs readigrass like there's no tomorrow! :roll: She said there wasn't really any difference between them and both were as good for the buns as the other. She didn't say anything specific about levels of nutrients or if it was more fattening though.

:lol:

What does their normal diet and diet routine consist of, Hetty? I wouldn't have thought that a handful of readigrass between 5 would be too much. I'd have thought it was more likely to be something like yummy carrot. Do they get much veg?

Only the piggies get carrots, not the bunnies.
I am so paranoid about giving them fruit/veg due to GI stasis, and they don't really need it as they're such good hay eaters.
They have the odd apple/pear/brussels/brocolli/greens but this is about once a week.
They get 1 handful of A&P Breeder's Pellets each.

Back