• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating and looking very tired

Sakura6267

Warren Scout
I gave Yuki a dose of the Doxycycline yesterday evening. I've also been giving the Metronidazole for over a week now twice a day, and I just started on the Doxycycline which I only have to give once a day. Yuki seems more out of it than ever this morning. He did eat his lettuce, but it took longer for him to eat it all. I tried to give him a carrot, but he won't even sniff at it. He looks so tired. If he doesn't eat by this afternoon I'll have to force feed him the Critical Care again. :( Is the medication too strong for him? He seemed fine last night, maybe even a little better! It's like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because he needs the medicine to get rid of the bacteria infection he has, but the medicine is making him sick. I don't know what to do.

Is he having pain relief at the same time? It sounds to me more like a 'pain' issue than an antibiotic issue. Perhaps some oral pain meds would be helpful at the moment so soon after all his dental work. :wave:

No, I didn't give him any Metacam today. The vet wanted me to see if he would be ok without it. I didn't give him any yesterday either and he was fine. That's why I think it's the new antibiotic.

Usually when his teeth are hurting he only needs pain relief for about 3 days, and it's been a week and 2 days now so he shouldn't be having anymore pain in his mouth. I'm really scared he might have an abscess, but I can't tell. I don't feel any lumps or anything. He's finally eating his carrot so I think he might start eating by himself again. He usually perks up around noon, but today he just looked extra bad. I'm going to keep an eye on his eating habits today, and if he doesn't eat normally, I probably will give him Metacam and call the vet.

The fact that you didn't give him metacam today or yesterday suggests to me that it's far more likely the culprit than the doxycycline. Metacam does stay in the bloodstream for a day or so, so it sounds feasible to me that the amount in the blood is now low enough that he is feeling pain again.

It's possible that it's the doxycycline of course but I'd be more inclined to think it's the lack of painkiller - why not give your vet a ring and see what they think.

I just gave him his full dose of Metacam. Hopefully there will be an improvement. I just don't understand how he could be in pain for so long. It's been over a week already.

Thanks so much Prettylupin and Santa. :D You guys were right about the pain. I figured it was the new medication, so I didn't really think about giving him Metacam, but thanks to you pointing that out, I gave him the Metacam and he seems to be doing much better. :) I did force feed him a bit of Critical Care, and now he's eating by himself. I just don't understand why he's still in pain after over a week. Before when he had dentals he only needed the pain meds for 2 or 3 days. Well, he did have a much bigger problem this time than usual with a fractured tooth being removed, but I'm still worried about why he would still be in pain from that. I really hope he didn't get an abscess. :( I'll just keep giving him the Metacam until at least the weekend when I see the vet again, and she can tell me if he has one or not.

Thanks so much Prettylupin and Santa. :D You guys were right about the pain. I figured it was the new medication, so I didn't really think about giving him Metacam, but thanks to you pointing that out, I gave him the Metacam and he seems to be doing much better. :) I did force feed him a bit of Critical Care, and now he's eating by himself. I just don't understand why he's still in pain after over a week. Before when he had dentals he only needed the pain meds for 2 or 3 days. Well, he did have a much bigger problem this time than usual with a fractured tooth being removed, but I'm still worried about why he would still be in pain from that. I really hope he didn't get an abscess. :( I'll just keep giving him the Metacam until at least the weekend when I see the vet again, and she can tell me if he has one or not.

Because there is nerve supply to every tooth and irritated and inflammed nerves can take weeks to settle down. It may not necessarily be an abcess - and the abx will hopefully prevent this, but they won't help the inflammation on the nerves to subside any faster - only time does this. :wave:

That makes sense since the tooth did look pretty nasty. I hope that it'll heal soon. I'm glad it wasn't the medication since he needs it to get rid of that bad bacteria. Luckily we just got a big bottle of Metacam that should last for quite a while. :)

Thanks. :) I hope he starts getting more ups than downs now.

I just remembered a couple of years back I got a filling over a cavity, and this nerve in my tooth was hurting like crazy for about 3 weeks! That's probably similar to what Yuki is going through. If it is, no wonder he was in pain!

Back