• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding help please!

shannon321

Alpha Buck
i know this is the wrong section but know i'd get the quickest answer!

so im currently bonding bun bun and bobbi i think everythings going ok,

bobbi is stamping a little and keep mounting bun bun whose lost a few chunks of hair but not broken skin or anything, every time i push him off he hide's his head under her? is that normal?

Bun bun is being very pateint with him and not really reacting despite loosing chunks of fur!

i basically want to know if this is normal and how far i should allow them to go in terms of humping? do i let them do it to sort the heirachy out? because i've just been gently pushing him off everytime.
also they keep pushing there faces underneath each others is this normal?
thank you

Sounds perfectly normal, the pushing heads under each other is like them saying, "oi I'm the boss groom me!"

I would let the humping go on unless Bun bun started reacting aggressively? The sooner Bobbi has asserted himself as boss the sooner it should calm down :)

no she isn't reacting aggresively, is it normal to pull chunks of fur out while humping?

I didn't think bobbi would be the one in charge but bun bun is being so subbmissive she's just sitting there getting her head washed by bobbi in a nose rub trance.

well i just let him hump her, and now the tables have turned and she's madly humping him

no she isn't reacting aggresively, is it normal to pull chunks of fur out while humping?

I didn't think bobbi would be the one in charge but bun bun is being so subbmissive she's just sitting there getting her head washed by bobbi in a nose rub trance.

well i just let him hump her, and now the tables have turned and she's madly humping him

Oh grooming already is a very good sign :) Yes it is normal for there to be fur pulling

well things are going too well... im susicious :lol:

i'v added a litter tray now and there not being terratorial over it and theres not been much humping over the last hour or so....

SO i'm hoping we are over the worst of it

well things are going too well... im susicious :lol:

i'v added a litter tray now and there not being terratorial over it and theres not been much humping over the last hour or so....

SO i'm hoping we are over the worst of it

I bonded three males without a blip, now that's suspicious :lol: Some bondings just go ultra smooth, seems you're one of the lucky ones :D

:wave: How's it going now? Still well I hope :) Whatever you do, don't assume that it's going well enough to move them into one of their territories, especially your existing buns. Their friendship will still be very fragile so it's best to leave them in neutral territory for as long as possible.

Fingers crossed, certainly sounding pretty normal and very promising :)

I've probably had the most experience after Chris at Starlights of bonding Bobbi......
from what Chris said Bobbi was keen to hump rascal but Charlie got jealous and stopped him. so Charlie became the dominant male. the 3 of them were kept in a dog cage for 10 days to get the bonding done. Lots of fur pulling so that is not unusual. even when Rascal was bonded with Smudge we had fur pulling 3 months later.

It is VERY important to keep them in a small space until they are laying down together and grooming each other. It's not unusual for the female to hump the male - even Rascal does this now and then to keep Charlie in his place!!!:lol:

I think that Bobbi will want to be assertive after his previous experience here. as long as there is no blood drawn or really vicious lock on fighting you should be OK.

I disinfected all of the house when I brought back Charlie and Bobbi. As Rascal was free range her scent was everywhere. I shampooed the carpets and used a spray gun with disinfect in for the skirting boards. I took out anything that had her smell on - toys, rattan mats, thouroughly cleaned litter trays etc.

Bobbi was the last of the trio to venture out of the cage to the larger enclosed area. I think this was because Charlie was making himself as the boss. the new area was only about 3 metres.

I think that the 2 males and 1 female bonding didn't work as we had the 2 males wanting to be boss. Rascal and charlie bonded, as did Rascal and Bobbi, but because Charlie wanted Rascal to himself it didn't work.

If you want to call me to ask anything how Bobbi was whilst he was me just call. I have left my tel numbers on a pm to you

fingers crossed it will all work out!!!!:love:

Whatever you do, don't assume that it's going well enough to move them into one of their territories, especially your existing buns. Their friendship will still be very fragile so it's best to leave them in neutral territory for as long as possible.

Fingers crossed, certainly sounding pretty normal and very promising :)

Absolutely! I would leave them in a small neutral space for a couple of weeks. I moved mine into the bunny room too soon and had to go back a step :roll:

well all is good today, they are still in a small neuteral area and theres only been one mega chasing today but other than that theres been a little dozing and grooming but nothing major :D

I feel so bad keeping them cramped up but i know its not gonna kill them!

that's great to hear. :p

I know it's really tempting to let them have a bigger area but I know from previous experience that this is not a good idea.......it took another 10 days for Smudge and Rascal to bond as I let them have a bit too much space too early on.....:oops:

it really is for the best in the end!

it really sounds as though they will be getting on famously.....got any pics of them together?

just thought i'd update as i haven't been on for a few days been major busy!!!

everythings fine and they are getting on brilliant no problems what so ever!

Back