• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wasnt berties teeth after all....what was it?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
The constant onslaught of huge balls of sticky stinking squishy poos al over the place...was disgusting for me to clean up but terrifying to see as it meant bertie was ill.
we tried everything..back to vets...

eventually it came back with such a vengeace and then he destroyed the bean bag sofa within minutes..kept having fights with bif..we know shes a bully buy this was full on scrapping...it was scary stuff.

then the final straw was him chewing the beanbag sofa to bits...not eating his hay as much and trying to get me to feed him more pellets as id cut them right back for his tummy..he became more and more bad tempered and i sought the vets advice...she said it sounded like a reaction to pain and with the hay eating decreasing etc..looked like dental probs..she tried but he ought her tooth and nail literaly!
so she gave him a metacam jab and told me to give him metcam till the friday..2 days of metacam til he had a dental.
ellen rang me..hed survived the ga...mainly gas this one. but he had NO spurs...not chaffing...an xray showed he had no misalingment or tooth root problems...in fact she was shocked at how perfect his teeth and jaw were..being a lop.
so she took bloods to send away for a general health panel....

he responded greatly to the pain jab and to the metacam.....which shows he had pain somewhere. shes given me some more metcam to give him only as and when needed.
maybe he has arthritis..cant feel any swelling etc but another xray woul dbe needed for diagnosis.
she thinks for now to carry on with the metacam when needed.

hes been eating fine still..has upped his hay intake a bit more..is much more even tempered..still a grumpy old sod but not like he was.
His nosiness during decorating for halloween was amazing!! he loved it! my mum has even commented on how bright he seems...
but nothing was done...what changed?
OOh ellen said shes found a wart on his tongue...not inflammmed or evil looking..just a wart but didnt think it was htat causing pain.

anyone got any ideas or has had a bun with a wart on their tongue?

i guess the blood panel will come back normal too.

i must admit were all stumped..im just worried ill be labelled as the owner who worries too much or makes out her pet is ill when it isnt....im realy paranoid now!!
i wouldnt want to spend moeny at the vets if i didnt need to and i wouldnt put my buns thru vets trips if theyre wasnt soemthing up....

but i feel like a norty kid telling fibs..all cos nothigns showed up.

but ellen said frenchies are very prone to arthritis in their spines before their legs even. it would explain the stiff lazy old soul and not cleaning his bum or eating cecals i guess and the pain making him grumpy.

i havent given him any metacam...theres only been a small smear on the lino..hardly noticeable...no majorly big...golf ball and a bit bigger cecals like their was.

if he starts again..metacam it is for a few days.

any advice? any ideas?

Hi

I once had a bunny that had a wart on his tongue, which was left alone as it didn't seem to bother him.

Jay M

Back