• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am at a loss at what to do?

pudding777

Alpha Buck
Hi, Some of you my have already read about me taking on 2 older female rabbits at the beginning of August. 2 weeks after that Bluebell died, suspect cancer, or something related as neither of them had been neutered.
Daisy is now a single bun, she was always been the more timid. She would often only come out in the run if Bluebell did etc.
Anyway, I moved her hutch nearer the house, she had all my patio to run around on but it wasnt too secure. She seemed quite happy, playing with her toys and foraging around, I often went to sit in the run and although very frightened eventually would come and take a dandilion off me - then run away.
We looked into getting her neutered so we could bond her with a male. I tried 2 different vets and they said she was underwight. They thought she was too old to go through with it. And also she had a snuffly nose which her last owners said she'd had for quite some time. They thought here maybe some underlaying health problems? She has put weight on now. She doent eat hay dispite trying to tempt her with every variety. Her last owner didnt realise she needed it.
So the story goes on..... to try and make her winter more pleasent we invested in a playhouse with catflap into a run. So 2 weeks ago in she went, she has mulity levels, loads of hay and straw, shelfs along the window, (even the plastic dog bed full of hay spooked her). Now I havnt seen her play. Rather than run through her tunnel to play she hides in it when I go outside to talk to her.
I understand she has gone through a lot of changes.
Maybe I am hoping for too much. But I want to see her happy. She comes out in her run and sits behind a toy and ignores me if i speak to her. When I go in her playhouse to fill up her food etc she hides in the straw then bolts out the catflap. Paired with winter upon us and less interaction too? Will the situation get any better? Does she need time? Am I being cruel. Does she want less interaction, more, try her with a friend?
I am trying to make things better but not seeming to suceed.

How old is she? If she can't be spayed, I don't see that as an obstacle to bonding really, as long as the male is neutered. It certainly sounds like she would benefit from a friend.

we recon she's about 5 and half.
I was looking to get her a male bun to try and if it didnt work out I would bond him with another, but at least I would have tried? But now she's in her playhouse and may not accept a newcomer into her territory, although i know not to bond her in there, that is where they both would be living eventually And from all the links I see bonding looks very stressful too?

I wonder if just having another rabbit or rabbits nearby would help her feel more settled and confident? Would another bun or two be a possibility?

A rescue may well carry out the bonding for you and take away the stress factor :) This would also give you the chance to neutralise Daisy's accommodation ready for the return of the newly wedded bunsters.

Bunnymadhouse at BARC (Barnsley) may well have male bunsters looking for homes and may be able to help.

Good luck :thumb:

PS Have you seen Victor at BARC in Rabbits in Need? :love:

Last edited:
A rescue may well carry out the bonding for you and take away the stress factor :) This would also give you the chance to neutralise Daisy's accommodation ready for the return of the newly wedded bunsters.

Bunnymadhouse at BARC (Barnsley) may well have male bunsters looking for homes and may be able to help.

Good luck :thumb:

PS Have you seen Victor at BARC in Rabbits in Need? :love:

Thanks I was think the same thing :D

Have been a nosey moo and just seen the pictures of your playhouse and run :oops: Fantastic :D:D:D:D:D Daisy is a very lucky bunny. As I have a soft spot for lionheads she is also very gorgeous :love:

Our Rosie has always been a timid 'you can look but not touch' bunny but is so loved up and confident with BJ that it is a joy to see. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Daisy can find a husbun too ;)

Thank you.
I have been in touch with Angie about 'Victor', so - watch this space :D
Here is a better picture of Daisy, we had just got back from the vets and she 'froze' in my dinning room for a few minutes before legging it out of the patio door ! :roll:
003-1.jpg

we recon she's about 5 and half.
I was looking to get her a male bun to try and if it didnt work out I would bond him with another, but at least I would have tried? But now she's in her playhouse and may not accept a newcomer into her territory, although i know not to bond her in there, that is where they both would be living eventually And from all the links I see bonding looks very stressful too?

i would spay her, thats not old really yet, we have had a rabbit spayed at age9yrs and i spayed dora age 3yrs and coco neutered at 7years,kitty weas neutered age 6yrs i think you just need the right vet as rabbits can live to around 12 years (our chelsea is 11yrs) then i would say she is older but not elderly yet! :)

how about company i think she is lonely maybe getting her a ferind once she is spayed or bringing her in as a house rabbit? have you treid her with grass instead of hay jsuta s good for them many buns prefer it if you not have a lawnb you can grow grass in trays from seed very cheaply. x

I would chat with a different vets. I wouldn't think 5&half was too old to get spayed - you could try Abbey Vets in Barnsley (if you do, please say you were referred by BARC & they will get a fiver:lol:).

Good luck:D

i would spay her, thats not old really yet, we have had a rabbit spayed at age9yrs and i spayed dora age 3yrs and coco neutered at 7years,kitty weas neutered age 6yrs i think you just need the right vet as rabbits can live to around 12 years (our chelsea is 11yrs) then i would say she is older but not elderly yet! :)

Well thats what everyone says on here that its not old, I get the impression the vets think it is an old age:roll:
I have been to 2 different vet practices, one of which was recommened on here. It was her age, weight, and health issues that combined the vets discission to be that they wouldnt be prepared to do it.

how about company i think she is lonely maybe getting her a ferind once she is spayed or bringing her in as a house rabbit? have you treid her with grass instead of hay jsuta s good for them many buns prefer it if you not have a lawnb you can grow grass in trays from seed very cheaply. x

Indoor bun, Yes thought about it as my piggies live inside, but I think it may give her a heart attact:? What with the dog and 2 kiddies to contend with and the childrens friends in and out. My Dinning room has been taken over by a 8ftx 5ft 3 storey C&C cage for piggies so no where practical even if I thought she wouldn't be petrified with all the goings on. Her last home gave her very little attention for at least the last 3 years and she has made it clear she would rather sit away from me than with me, Infact nearer to my dog than me:( If the patio door was open when she was housed in the hutch she wouldnt come out of it, I'd have loved her to Bunny hop inside:(
Her playhouse goes straight out in to her run area, 12ft by 5ft is grassed. She also has a planter in her run growing 24 different grasses/clovers that I plant from seed. She has 4 growing in the green house which I alternate once she's muched down it. And I have a 'Sand pit' sized one for my piggies:)

002.jpg

Daisy munchies:love:

:wave: Awww she sounds very cute, poor little mite. Sounds like she found a nice understanding owner now. I thought her age would rule out spaying her aswell. I think she would be OK with a bun similar age as long as they are spayed, you could do the intro/bonding very gradually. Hopefully it might give her a new lease of life. Best of luck x

:thumb:
I see Victor is reserved, anything to tell us? ;)

Angie's willing to give the bonding ago :D
I've kept up with Victors story since day one :love:
I darn't get too excited other wise I start to go all tumble tumley inside :lol:
I'll let you know how it goes once we have set a date.

I'm just wondering if maybe she is deaf, or/and blind, which is causing her to startle more and easier. Just a random thought.

Angie's willing to give the bonding ago :D
I've kept up with Victors story since day one :love:
I darn't get too excited other wise I start to go all tumble tumley inside :lol:
I'll let you know how it goes once we have set a date.

That is lovely news. We were lucky enough to adopt BJ from BARC so I have a special interest in bunnies from there :)

Will be sending loads of bonding vibes, fingers crossed it works out xxx

Back