• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
My bun Mallow has started sneezing in small fits. She seems fine and then she'll have a small sneezing fit a few times throughout the day. It sounds sort of slightly rasping if that makes sense. Nothing has changed ie bedding etc and theres no discharge coming from her nose.
Have put some olbas oil in room to try clear her nose with no avail. am quite worried.

I'd get the Vet to have a listen to her chest
Continuous 'dry sneezes' can be indicative of a Lower Respiratory Tract Infection.

Aww i hope its not that. Thanks for the advice. Will make an appointment for her. Was going to make one to get her checked over incase but that explanation makes sense .

I'd get the Vet to have a listen to her chest
Continuous 'dry sneezes' can be indicative of a Lower Respiratory Tract Infection.

Any idea how she could have got this? (if it is of course) is it something that can be prevented or just one of those things they can get?

Any idea how she could have got this? (if it is of course) is it something that can be prevented or just one of those things they can get?

Some Buns have a latent Respiratory Tract problem that their immune system can keep on top of. But occassionally the bacteria get the better of them and an 'active' infection sets in. This often happens during or after times of stress such as another concurrent illness, a change of environment etc.

It may not be a LRTI at all of course !!

bisc was doing this exact thing and even though his sneezes were dry, he did actually have an upper respiratory infection. 3 months on penicillin injections cleared it up.

let the vet have a look and a listen to her chest and see what they suggest. :wave:

Back