• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do i say something?

devoted2buns

Mama Doe
someone on my facebook who i gave advice to had gone and bought his girl-friend a rabbit and this is the photo they have put on facebook of it's house, to me its far too small, ive already upset them by trying to say getting a rescue is better than buying but they wouldn't listen and now this? what can i say? what do you think?

hutch-2.jpg

Unfortunately you can only advise them the rest is down to them. Hopefully they will take notice of what you say and feel guilty and get the bun a better home. Good luck:D

Looks better than what my sister husband has just done... hes made a tiny hutch in a shed and a run that is 3 foot by 2 foot..... I almost sobbed, I tried to share my knowledge but they really werent interested and got scratchy.... I care too much about my nephew so didnt want to upset them further so had to shut up.... :? I only wanted to help them!

I dont know what to say.... anything you say will make them get scratchy :?

Its completely up to you what you do. If you want to educate them maybe just send them a link to the forum and also maybe a link to the part on the RWA where they say about rabbit accommodation.

One of my favourite quotes is

“The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right”

Sometimes it can be hard, but its always worthwhile trying to remember.

tell them what you think and tell them to not take it as a personal insult to them. tell them it is about the rabbit and what is best so you hope they don't make it about them! in a nice way of course...!

hmmm....i don't know hun. maybe best just to be to the point then? maybe point out the problems they can get from not being in big enough accommodation and how that could lead to high vets bills??? i really don't know. it's an awful feeling isn't it? i tried to help a rabbit up the road from me. i ended up selling them my ryedale hutch and run for £50 just so she would have a bigger house and run. i couldn't do anything else. was heartbreaking in a way. i still think about her. she kept escaping. i caught her and kept her safe until her owner came to collect her. might send them a xmas card actually and see how she is getting on. maybe invite them to join the forum. :)

Just comment on the photo

"That hutch is too small for an adult rabbit" and leave it at that. If they make a big deal about it then you can delete them.

People tend to shut down as soon as anything negative is said (which is difficult when there isn't much of a positive comment to make) so I tend to point people to the forum too with just positive comments on how they can get lots of good advice on what rabbits love and how best to look after them, and see lots of lovely buns owned by fellow owners.

is the hutch in a shed, or garage or something? just looking at the flooring.

if it is maybe something like -

'where did you get the little hutch from? someone i know is looking for one to go inside their shed like yours. just as a play toy. post on the rabbit forum, they love seeing pics of peoples set ups and bunnies!'

what i did once was ask this girl if she would help me out and forward a rabbit care guide to everyone in her email to pass on to other people so they could send them to anyone they know who has a rabbit. i then put all their needs in the email and just forwarded it to everyone just so she would read it and get the point.

say something like 'I thought you were getting a rabbit not a guinea pig, even then it's way too small for one'

One of my favourite quotes is

“The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right”

Sometimes it can be hard, but its always worthwhile trying to remember.

How do you always come out with such great words and advice, you must be brilliant to have as a friend :)

I agree, you have done what you can, try not to worry too much, hopefully it will sink in,

Back